Makar Sankranti is the marking of a new year as per Hindu Solar Calendar. For me, it is the perfect warm winter day to enjoy Urad Dal Khichdi with ghee, papad, dahi, and achaar. Urad Dal Khichdi is a simple no onion or garlic khichdi recipes made with split urad dal and rice.
So for many of us who believe in the legend of Makar Sankranti, it is actually the embarking of a new year as per the Hindu calendar.
Across different states of India, the festival is celebrated with different names such as – Pongal, Lohri, Bihu, and so on.
The khichdi eating ritual on Makar Sankranti Day is one of my favorite food memories of childhood. Every now and then I try to relive this memory by making dal khichdi to celebrate the festival of Makar Sankranti.
Popular Makar Sankranti Food Rituals:
Urad Dal Khichdi…
The split urad dal (chilka urad dal) has some sort of divine connection with the festival of Makar Sankranti.
In the Kumaoni culture, it is a must, to consume chilka urad dal either in the form of khichdi or bada on the day of Makar Sankranti. And not to forget tons of ghee need to be consumed with this urad dal khichdi. Why? Maybe because of the added flavor and to make it easily digestible.
Those of you complaining about the busy schedule I must tell you this dal khichdi is done in a pressure cooker and takes less than 20 minutes to get ready.
Though I know my grandmother’s soul won’t rest in peace seeing me cooking her favorite khichdi in a pressure cooker. But like you, I too have busy weekdays and demanding weekends. So I did cheat a little bit and adapted the quick route to making urad dal khichdi.
You can make it in an instant pot or electric pressure cooker as well like a regular dal khichdi.
There is a food saying prevalent in India, ‘Khichdi ke chaar yaar – dahi, mooli, ghee, achaar.‘ It translates as khichdi has four friends – curd, radish, ghee, and pickle, without these a bowl of khichdi is not complete.
Hence, you can serve dal khichdi with:
Curd or Raita
Fried or Roasted Papad
More Urad Dal Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Urad Dal Khichdi Recipe
- 1 Cup split urad dal (chilka urad dal)
- 2 Cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Soak dal overnight in enough water or for atleast 6 hours.
- Next morning you will notice that the black peel of the dal start leaving the white skin underneath.
- Rub the dal in small batches in between your palms to remove the black peel. Each time drain the black peel.
- After 2 – 3 times you will end up with majorly white skinned dal with few black peel here and there.
- Let the dal sit in colander for 5 – 10 minutes for excess water to drain off.
- Meanwhile soak rice in enough water.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let the seeds fry for less than a minute.
- Add the dal in the pressure cooker. Roast the dal nicely for next 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now add the salt and spices along with 1 Cup of water.
- Cook the dal for one whistle over low heat. Allow the steam to release naturally from the pressure cooker.
- Drain water from the soaked rice. Add rice in the same pressure cooker as dal. Stir to mix.
- Add 2 Cups or enough water to cook the rice. Close the lid and cook the rice for one whistle over low heat. Allow the steam to release naturally from the pressure cooker.
- Serve Urad Dal Khichdi warm with ghee, papad and achaar.