If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for perfect tried and tested Indian food recipes.
Dal Khichdi Recipe
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/3 Cup yellow moong dal
- 1/4 Cup toor dal
- 1/4 Cup red masoor dal
- 1 small-size onion fine chopped
- 1 medium size tomato chopped
- 1 medium size potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 - 3 clove of garlic fine chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili power
- 1 tbsp ghee or cooking oil
- 1 medium size onion sliced
- 1 medium size tomato finely chopped
- 2 - 3 sprig of coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
- To prepare the Dal Khichdi, first clean, rinse and soak the lentils together in water for 15 - 20 minutes or so. Similarly soak the rice as well in a separate bowl.
- In a pressure cooker (buy it here) heat ghee/cooking oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, as the seeds turn light brown in color add the chopped garlic and saute till garlic also turn light brown in color.
- Next add the chopped onion and green chili. Stir and saute for few minutes over medium heat or till onion become soft and golden in color.
- Add the chopped potato along with salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Drain the soaked lentils and rice. Add in the pressure cooker, stir to combine and saute for few minutes.
- Add approximately two glasses of water in the pressure cooker along with tomato. Stor to combine and seal the lid. Let Dal Khichdi cook over medium heat for one or two whistle. Turn off the heat. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker.
- While the Dal Khichdi is cooking. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the sliced onion till golden in color. Drain in a oil absorbent sheet and keep aside.
- Serve Dal Khichdi warm topped with caramelized onion, chopped tomato and fresh coriander leaves along with raita, salad and papad.