Urad Dal Recipe:
Do you need to soak urad dal?
Whole urad dal or the split urad dal need to be soaked for at least 4 – 5 hours in water. Urad dal takes a longer time to get cooked in a pressure cooker. Hence, soaking helps in reducing the cooking time. In case of split urad dal, soaking softens the husk, and it can be easily removed by gently rubbing the grains in between fingers.
What is the difference between sabut urad, dhuli urad and chilka urad dal?
Whole urad dal or the sabut urad is also known as black urad dal. The husk is attached to the grain and this is the dal used for making famous Dal Makhani. The split urad or the chilka urad is black and white in color. It has removable husk attached to the grain. After soaking the lentil this husk is easily removable. The white urad or the dhuli urad is pale white in color and has no husk attached to the grain.
How To Make Vegan Urad Dal?
This Shahi Urad Dal Recipe can be easily transformed into a vegan deliciousness. All you need to substitute two ingredients in the recipe:
- Ghee: Use either coconut oil, vegan butter or any other cooking oil for tempering
- Milk: Use almond milk or cashew milk
Shahi Urad Dal Thali Meal:
Other Indian Dal Recipes You Might Like To try:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Shahi Urad Dal Recipe
- 1 Cup chilka urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 medium-size ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoom turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 - 2 green chili, fine chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 green cardamom (hari elaichi)
Ingredients For Tempering (tadka):
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 medium-size onion, fine chopped
- 5 - 6 sliced almonds (badam), cut into halves
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala ( see recipe here)
How To Cook Urad Dal:
- To make Shahi Dal, first clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 4 - 5 hours or overnight.
- Next morning you will notice the black husk of dal starts leaving the white skin underneath. Rub the dal in small batches in between your palms to remove the black peel. Rinse again and you will end up with majorly white skinned dal with few black peel here and there.
- Combine the dal, cardamom pods, bay leaf, chopped tomato, ginger - garlic paste, green chilli, milk, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Mix well to combine.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles over low heat or till urad dal gets cooked. Make sure urad dal does not get over cooked and turn mushy. Allow the steam of pressure cooker to escape naturally before opening the lid.
- Gently whisk the dal with the spoon to thicken it.
How To Prepare Tempering:
- Heat ghee in a deep pan and add the sliced almonds. Fry them till light golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions, and sauté on a medium flame till onion turns light brown in color.
- Once the oil starts separating from the masala, add the whisked dal, garam masala and stir to combine.
- Taste the dal and adjust the salt accordingly. Let the dal simmer over low heat for few minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish Shahi Urad Dal with fried almond slices and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Shahi Urad Dal warm with jeera rice or chapati.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
***Postcard from Agra, India***