A creamy, bright, green pea soup is the highlight of my winter season. This is a vegan, gluten-free, healthy green pea soup recipe.
A creamy, bright, green pea soup is the highlight of my winter season.
Surprise yourself with a delicious green pea soup made without cream! Super healthy with only 187 calories per serving makes a wholesome light meal.
More Reasons To LOVE Pea Soup
- full of nutrition
- no cream or milk
- gluten and nut free
- vegetarian and vegan
- easy one-pot soup recipe
Fresh vs Frozen Peas
Let’s take a look at the star of this recipe – GREEN PEAS!
You can make this soup with fresh or frozen peas. But in India, we get fresh peas during the winter, which is the official soup season. Hence I always prefer making this soup with fresh ones. Frozen peas are a good alternative if fresh ones are out of season or if you’re in a time crunch.
But I think fresh green peas give a deep flavour, bright green colour and increase the soup’s nutritional value.
Other Ingredients For Soup
Garlic and Celery add a lot of flavour to the soup.
Thyme and Coriander with green peas are a match made in heaven.
Coconut Milk gives a creamy mouthfeel to the soup. You can substitute it with regular dairy cream or almond milk.
Potato: It makes soup fulfilling and gives it a creamy texture. However, it is optional to add potatoes.
Stock: I highly recommend cooking peas in vegetable stock or broth. It adds a layer of deep flavours. You can use a stock or bouillon cube also.
Red Onion, Salt, Pepper, Coconut Oil
How To Make
Step 1) Shell the green peas and take out all the kernels in a bowl. Discard the shells and spoilt/rotten/yellow kernels. Rinse peas with water. Transfer to a colander.
Step 2) Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add garlic, celery, thyme, and onion. Saute them for a minute to release their aroma and infuse the flavour into the oil—no need to brown them (image 1).
Step 3) Add green peas and potatoes. Saute them for a few minutes (image 2).
Step 4) Add vegetable stock, salt, pepper, fresh coriander, and stir to combine (image 3).
Step 5) Cover and cook the soup over low heat till the vegetables are fully cooked and soft (image 4).
Step 6) Blend the soup using a hand blender or mixer.
Step 7) Add coconut milk, mix, and simmer the soup for 2 minutes.
Green Pea Soup is ready to serve.
Green Peas Soup tastes delicious with a toasted garlic or focaccia bread.
My favourite combination is a soup and cheese sandwich—the ultimate comfort food combination. But honestly, you do not need many side dishes with a wholesome soup. A slice of good artisanal bread is enough.
More Soup Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Green Pea Soup Recipe
- stockpot or saucepan
- 2 Cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery stalk
- ¼ Cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ⅓ Cup diced potato
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 6 Cups vegetable stock or broth (Get Recipe)
- ¼ Cup coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Shell the green peas and take out all the kernels in a bowl. Discard the shells and spoilt/rotten/yellow kernels. Rinse peas with water. Transfer to a colander.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add garlic, celery, thyme, and onion. Saute them for a minute to release their aroma and infuse the flavour into the oil—no need to brown them.
- Add green peas, potatoes, and saute them for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, salt, black pepper, fresh coriander, and stir to combine. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over low heat till vegetables are soft and fully cooked.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, blend the soup using an immersion hand blender or transfer the soup to the jar of a blender. Once it cools down a bit, blend it to a smooth consistency.
- After blending the soup, turn on the heat, and add coconut milk. Stir to combine, taste and if required, add more seasoning. Simmer the soup for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Garnish green peas soup with coconut milk and chopped coriander.
- Serve green peas soup warm.
- If you like green peas soup with a smooth consistency – use a strong stand blender and not a hand blender for grinding the soup. Also, strain the soup after blending to get a smooth consistency. Else, the texture of my green peas soup is coarse.
- If you are not keen on using coconut milk, substitute it with heavy cream.
- You can add a few sprigs of mint leaves also to the soup for flavour.