Punjabi Sookhi Urad Dal Recipe is easy to make and delicious every day lentil dish. Lunch is a serious affair in any Sikh household. The menu for lunch is planned on the breakfast table while hogging on the stuff parathas. The moment the first meal of the day is wrapped up pots and ladles are set in motion for lunch. The skilled house help gets engaged in elementary chopping job with uttermost sincerity. While the ladies of the house take charge of the cooking stating. From dals to vegetables, Phulkas, Rice and plenty of yoghurt in the form of raita or chaas is always there in the menu. Dessert could also make it to the menu once in a week, not on a daily basis. The elaborate menu surely reflects the clan’s love for food.
Punjabi Sookhi Urad Dal is one of our lunchtime favorites. This one is mother-in-law’s specialty. On special request from us laced with affection, she would include it in the lunch menu. The day Sukhi Urad Dal is prepared the lunch table is lined with plenty of coriander chutney, piping hot ghee, green chili pickle and plenty of chopped coriander, little add-ons to pep up the flavors and presentation of the dal. The air surrounding the dining table is surely luring and full of unsaid excitement, jittery fingers are visibly eager to dive into Sookhi Urad Dal along with piping hot puffed up Phulkas.
Actually, Punjabi Sookhi Urad Dal is a virtual treat as well with perfectly golden fried onions embellished on top. The bowl full of vibrant dal with a surface of golden glaze is inviting enough to dig into the lunch.
Learn how to make Punjabi Sookhi Urad Dal in few simple steps:
- 1 Cup skinned urad dal dhuli urad dal
- 2 large onion julienned
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup cooking oil
- 2 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp amchur mango powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- a pinch of asafetida
- 1/2 tsp garam masala see recipe here
- To prepare the Sookhi Urad Dal, first clean, rinse and soak the urad dal in enough water for 1 - 2 hour.
- Next in a pressure cooker add soaked urad dal along with 2 Cups of water.
- Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, green chili, ginger garlic paste, asafetida, mango powder and garam masala. Stir to combine.
- Pressure cook the dal over medium heat for 2 - 3 whistle or till dal is just cooked through and not mushy.
- Turn off the heat. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker ( buy it here ).
- Open the lid of pressure cooker and check dal for doneness. If yet not fully cooked through let it simmer without lid over low heat for few more minutes.
- Once you are ready to serve the dal, transfer Sookhi Urad Dal to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the onion till deep golden in color.
- Add the fried onion over the dal. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Sookhi Urad Dal warm with Phulka.