Vegetable Dalia Khichdi is a nourishing, wholesome Indian khichdi made with broken wheat (dalia), moong dal, and lots of vegetables in a pressure cooker. It is a comforting one-pot meal packed with all the good nutrients you need in a day. Be sure to watch the video of this Indian porridge!
Usually, the Indian dal khichdi is made with a combination of rice and lentil. I have got for you a delicious khichdi recipe that has zero rice. The key ingredient of this khichdi is the broken wheat or dalia (as we call it in Hindi). In Gujarati Cuisine, this khichdi is known as fada ni khichdi.
Reasons To LOVE This Dalia Khichdi Recipe
protein, fiber-packed healthy meal
wholesome, fulfilling, and nourishing
easy to make in a pressure cooker or instant pot
pure vegetarian and possible vegan (skip ghee)
About Broken Wheat (Dalia)
Dalia is a cracked or broken wheat (bulgur wheat) prepared by coarsely milling the whole wheat grains. It is derived from the fibrous husk of the wheat grain and is considered extremely nutritious because:
- It has five times more fiber than other processed grains
- It is beneficial for those on a high protein and low carb diet
- It is a rich source of magnesium and iron
- It keeps you full for a longer duration
Other Ingredients For Khichdi
Moong Dal: The yellow moong dal gives the perfect texture and taste to the khichdi.
Vegetables: From carrot, beans, broccoli, potato, peas, to mushrooms and green leafy vegetables, you can add a variety of veggies to this dalia khichdi.
Ghee: I have used ghee (clarified butter) to cook this khichdi. You can use coconut oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil to make a vegan and dairy-free khichdi.
Seasoning: Salt, red chili powder, turmeric, and a lot of fresh coriander.
Some of my favorite side dishes to serve with khichdi are masala potato fry and Gujarati Kadhi.
Store the leftover khichdi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days. Add 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water to the khichdi while reheating to get the desired consistency. You can reheat dalia khichdi on a stovetop or microwave.
Watch Dali Khichdi Recipe Video
More Indian Khichdi Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Vegetable Dalia Khichdi Recipe
- 1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal
- ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup potato, diced
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Rinse, and wash moong dal with water. Soak it in 1 cup water for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, ginger, asafoetida, and fry for 10 – 20 seconds to release the aroma of spices.
- Add chopped onion and fry till onion become light golden in color. Next, add chopped tomato, salt, and spices. Stir to combine and fry the masala till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add broken wheat, soaked dal (drain the water), and mix nicely.
- Add all the vegetables, and combine all the ingredients together.
- Add water, mix, and seal the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook dalia khichdi over medium heat for 1 – 2 whistles. The cooking time on the stovetop is 15 minutes. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker. Open the lid and check khichdi for doneness.
- Garnish dalia khichdi with a lot of fresh coriander.
- Serve Vegetable Dalia Khichdi warm with raita and pickle.
- You can use bulgur wheat or quinoa as well for this khichdi recipe.
- Use the saute mode and pressure cooker mode of the instant pot to make this dalia khichdi. The pressure cook time is 5 minutes.
- To make a vegan dalia khichdi use coconut oil or vegetable oil for cooking rather than ghee.