Potato Roast is a spicy, delicious Indian style masala potato fry. This South Indian Style Potato Roast is a gluten-free, vegan, spicy side-dish. It can be made in 15 minutes and is
The Baby Potatoes…..
In India, baby potatoes are packaged and sold by weight rather than in numbers, due to their small size. Choose ones that have smooth, unblemished skin and are quite firm to touch with no lesions or ‘eyes’ on them.
Unlike the regular size potatoes, they can be cooked in their jackets, without peeling or scraping the skins off.
Make sure to wash them nicely in lukewarm salted water to get rid of dirt and germs before cooking.
Nutritional facts :
Albeit high in carbs, baby potatoes are loaded with fiber, an essential dietary ingredient for good digestion. Additionally, they help in lowering cholesterol so feel free to add them in moderate portions in your diet.
South Indian Style Potato Roast…
For this potato roast recipe, I have removed the skin of the potatoes, tossed them in a mix of inherently southern spices to coat the surface, and roasted them in a pan for a crisp texture.
It pairs well for lunch or dinner with a fiery tomato rasam and steamed rice, as a side dish in a South Indian thali meal, or even with parathas for office lunchbox (Also Read: 16 Best Packed Lunchbox Ideas).
How To Bake Masala Potato
To bake Indian style masala potatoes, mix the baby potatoes with the listed spices, and salt. Pour mustard oil and combine all the ingredients nicely to coat each potato with the masala marinade.
Spread the marinated baby potatoes on a sheet pan or tray
Bake in a preheated oven at 180-degree celsius till crisp from outside. This usually takes 30 – 40 minutes depending on the size of baby potatoes. Stir them halfway through baking time.
How can I easily peel baby potato?
Watch Potato Roast Recipe Video:
More Potato Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Masala Baby Potato Roast
- Heavy Bottom Kadhai
- 1 kilogram baby potato, peeled
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil (sarson oil)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 – 4 dry red chillies
- 1 teaspoon white urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (Bengal Gram)
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 10 – 12 fresh curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Dry roast the coriander seeds in a heavy bottom skillet till aromatic. It usually takes 1 – 2 minutes. Transfer them to a mortar and crush to a coarse powder using a pestle. Set aside.
- Next, heat mustard oil in the same skillet till it starts fuming. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilies and fry till seeds start spluttering.
- Add lentils, curry leaves, and asafoetida. Fry the tempering for next 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now, add the baby potatoes, salt, spices, and coriander powder. Mix nicely to evenly coat each potato with the masala.
- Cover and cook over low heat till potatoes are crisp from outside and fully cooked from inside. Stir the potatoes once or twice during this process.
- Garnish with fresh curry leaves.
- Serve Potato Roast with rasam and rice for a delicious South Indian style lunch.
- You can use sesame oil or coconut oil as well instead of mustard oil.
- Peeling baby potatoes is optional. You can cook them with skin as well.
- A teaspoon of Chettinad masala can be added along with the other spices for an authentic flavor.
- Adjust the amount of dry red chilies as per your taste preference.