Bombay Potatoes Recipe (Masala Aloo) is the best ever Indian-style roasted potato recipe. And this delicious recipe has been generously shared by Richa with us. Who is Richa? A self-taught cook, baker and a food photographer. Richa is the force behind a buzzing food blog My Food Story. Her heart-warming smile and a contemporary approach towards the conventional Indian food recipes are the two things for which you should not miss out being a regular visitor to her blog. If you spot a drool-worthy food image compelling you to dive into the computer screen and grab the food then Richa might be the person responsible for that. When we approached her to share a guest post with the readers of the blog, she readily accepted the invite and hence – Bombay Potatoes Recipe happened.
Richa says ,’Hey guys! I’m so happy to be guest posting here on behalf of Hina, and it’s an absolute privilege to be here. I love the space that Hina has created with Fun Food and Frolic and it’s always a pleasure to go through her stories, follow her journey and gawk at the delicious pictures on the blog! Today I’m sharing the recipe for Masala Aloo or Bombay Potatoes as they are popularly called outside India because the recipe has a special place in my life. My husband is not big on eating vegetables and would be happiest if there are none on the dinner table. Except for potatoes. If given a vegetarian option, he’d happily pick potatoes over other Indian food recipes. Which is why, I end up making them regularly at home, and getting creative with them.
This Masala Aloo is something that is a regular at our dinner table. I love it because it’s so quick to prepare, looks amazing, is spicy and has oodles of flavour. If you already have boiled potatoes in the refrigerator then you can have this on the table in under 10 minutes. All you need is the ground spices which are fried lightly in oil before potatoes are added to them. We really enjoy these Bombay Potatoes with simple dal and chapatis on the side. We also love smashing them into rice because they already have so much flavour that there is no need for another dish.’
Learn how to make Bombay Potatoes (Masala Aloo) in few simple steps:
Bombay Potatoes Recipe (Masala Aloo)
- 500 grams Baby Potatoes boiled and peeled
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp raw mango powder amchur
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala see recipe here
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Coriander Leaves for topping
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai, and add cumin seeds.
- Once they start spluttering, reduce the heat and add all the spice powders.
- Sauté for a few seconds and add 2 tablespoons water along with potatoes and salt.
- Mix well so that the spices coat the potatoes. Cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- By this time the water should have evaporated. Sauté the potatoes till they are well
- coated with the spices.
- Turn off the heat and top Bombay Potatoes with the chopped coriander.
- Serve Bombay Potatoes warm.