Honey Chilli Potato is Indian Chinese-style fried potato fingers glazed with a sweet and spicy sauce. It is one of those addictive potato snacks that you can keep digging into endlessly without even realizing you’ve finished an entire dish full of it. It is a big hit with kids and adults alike because it is crunchy, sweet, and spicy.
My first tryst with honey chili potato was in the neighborhood Indo- Chinese restaurant. As a kid, it was one of my favorite potato snacks. And for a country like India, where there are so many vegetarian food lovers, crispy honey chili potato is always in demand.
There are a few prerequisites to getting the honey chili potatoes right:
- Crispy and crunchy potato fingers
- Perfectly cooked potato fingers
- Golden honey glaze on the outside
- Perfect balance of flavors in the sauce
In this honey chili potato recipe, we’ll show you exactly how to achieve all these requirements and delve into something that’s pure ambrosia.
Crispy and Crunchy Potato Fingers:
The potatoes need to be washed, peeled and cut into strips or wedges. Soak these potato fingers in iced water (this helps in removing starch from the potatoes) and then pat dry with a cloth. Next, parboil the potatoes in salted water till al-dente (almost cooked).
Now coat the potato fingers in flour mixture and start frying.
A cooking technique called double-frying is used to give the potatoes the envious crunch that honey chili potato is known for. With double-frying, the crunch lasts even after glazing with sauce later, which isn’t the case with regular deep-frying.
Double-frying is the secret technique used by fast-food chains and Asian restaurants for a crisp exterior and a perfectly cooked interior. As the name indicates, one simply needs to re-fry the batch of potatoes after they are dusted with batter, a second time – just to get the right consistency, before dousing it in the sauce.
Golden Honey Glaze:
I can barely make up my mind on whether the crispy potatoes are the best part of this dish or the glaze – but rest assured, together they taste like a match made in kitchen heaven.
The main ingredients required for the sauce are honey, red chili paste, ketchup and garlic along with other aromatics. Heat oil in a pan and add garlic to it. Once it starts changing color, add some soy sauce, the chili paste, and ketchup to it and stir fry. Now add some corn starch and mix so that no lumps are formed. Once the consistency starts to reduce, add in the potatoes and toss till the sauce evenly coats the fries.
Top off honey chili potato with spring onion greens, a good drizzle of honey and sesame seeds. And the best potato snacks are ready to be popped into mouth!
Watch Step-By-Step Honey Chilli Potato Video:
Other Potato Recipes You might Like To Try:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Honey Chilli Potato
Ingredients For Crispy Potato:
- 500 gram potato, peeled
- 1/4 Cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch)
- oil for deep-frying
Ingredients For Honey Chilli Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon fine chopped ginger & garlic
- 1 green chilli, fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup fine chopped onion
- 1/4 Cup fine chopped capsicum
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds (til)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped spring onion greens
How To Make Crispy Potato:
- Peel, wash and cut the potato into equal size wedges or fingers.
- Soak potato wedges in ice-cold water for 10 minutes to remove starch.
- Boil water in a saucepan with a pinch of salt. Add potato wedges and boil for 10 minutes or till al-dente.
- Transfer to a plate lined with towel. Allow to cool down completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine boiled potato wedges, flour, salt and pepper. Mix nicely to coat each potato slice with flour mixture. Do not use any water.
- Heat oil for deep-frying over high heat. Fry the potato wedges in small batches till crisp. If required, double-fry the potato wedges for extra crisp texture. Transfer to a metal colander and set aside.
How To Make Honey Chilli Sauce:
- Heat oil in a stir fry pan. Add ginger, garlic and green chilli. Fry over high heat for a minute.
- Next, add onion and stir fry for a minute. Add capsicum, sauces, salt and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Combine corn flour with 1/4 cup of water and make a liquid paste. Add this paste to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Once sauce starts thickening, add the fried potato wedges, white sesame seeds, spring onion, red chilli flakes and honey. Mix nicely.
- Serve honey chilli potato immediately.
- Set aside till all the batches of fries are done. Let them cool down for a bit and then double-fry in the same oil carefully, taking good care not to burn them.
- Frying potato wedges in smaller batches at a time gives you more control over getting the fries evenly cooked, and preventing burning.
- After frying transfer potato wedges to a metal colander or basket rather than a plate. This way they remain crispy and all the excess oil drains out.