Potato Bake is a delicious, comforting, gluten-free casserole of potatoes baked in a cheesy cream sauce. This potato bake recipe will soon become a staple family breakfast.
Well-seasoned potatoes in a cheesy sauce loaded with herbs and baked to a perfect shade of gold. Do we have your attention yet?
This cheesy baking recipe is inspired by the famous continental dish potato au gratin. Baking potatoes with cheese and cream are highly popular among food lovers. It is an utterly indulging comfort food.
Serve it with eggs and toasted bread slices for a tasty family breakfast.
If you haven’t tried the heavenly combination of potatoes in a creamy, cheesy sauce, I suggest you try this potato bake recipe immediately.
Potato: Try to cut the potatoes into equal pieces for even cooking time. You can also use equal size baby potato or sweet potato for this recipe.
Cream: I prefer using heavy cream for the white sauce. But you can use light or fresh cream as well. Amul, Mother Dairy, and De’lecta creams are perfect choices in India.
Cheese: Pizza Cheese, mozzarella, or cheddar cheese works best for baking.
Seasoning: I mix thyme, chilli flakes, and fresh parsley. But rosemary, oregano, sage, and a lot of fresh Italian basil also taste good with baked potatoes.
Other Ingredients: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt, & Pepper
How To Make
Step 1) Preheat oven to 180-degree Celsius.
Step 2) Combine cream and all the remaining ingredients except cheese in a mixing bowl. Whisk to mix nicely and make a sauce.
Step 3) Add diced potatoes to the cream mixture and stir to coat the potatoes with the sauce. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
Step 4) Transfer the potato to the baking dish. Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or till potatoes are cooked, and a golden crust is formed on top.
My Tried & True Tips
Cut the potatoes into equal sizes for even cooking time, or use the baby potatoes. Pat dry diced potatoes with a kitchen towel before mixing in the sauce.
Can I make this dish with boiled potatoes? I would not recommend that. The flavour of cream sauce, herbs, and seasoning do not penetrate the boiled potatoes.
You do not need to parboil or pre-cook the potatoes. While baking, the potatoes cook in the thick white sauce with a crusty layer of cheese on top.
For the traybake recipe, use pizza cheese, mozzarella cheese, or any other grated cheese. Avoid cheese slices, as they won’t lend much taste and texture to the dish.
Bake the potatoes till they are nicely cooked, and a golden crust is formed on top. The baking time may vary according to the variety of potatoes, portion, and oven size.
I would recommend checking the potatoes after 30 minutes for doneness. If required, bake for a longer duration and shift them to the topmost rack during the last few minutes of baking to get a golden crust.
More Potato Recipes
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
- Baking Dish
- 2 Cup potato, diced
- 1 Cup heavy Cream (see Note 1)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Cup pizza cheese, grated
- Preheat oven at 180-degree Celsius. Grease a baking dish with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into bite size pieces.
- Combine cream and all the remaining ingredients except cheese in a mixing bowl. Whisk to mix nicely and make a sauce.
- Add diced potatoes in the cream mixture and stir to coat potatoes with the sauce. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Transfer potato into the baking dish. Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or till potatoes are cooked and a golden crust is formed on top.
- Serve Potato Tray Bake with toasted focaccia bread and eggs of your choice.
- Note 1) Use a good quality, unsweetened fresh or heavy cream for making cheesy potatoes.
- Add salt cautiously to the cream sauce, as cheese has a salty flavour.
- In my 52 litres OTG, the Indian variety of potatoes takes 60 minutes at 180-degree celsius in the middle rack to get perfectly baked with a gooey sauce and a golden crust on top.
This looks so yummy !!!
Can i use sweet potato instead of potato?? Will that taste equally good ??
Hina Gujral says
Yes, you can try this traybake with sweet potato as well. Or mix half of the sweet potato and half of the regular potato. I am sure it will taste delicious.