Chinese Sweet Corn Soup is a classic Indian-Chinese comfort soup that is a cult favorite. Warm, sweet corn soup with little hints of pepper and garlic is what this familiar and much-loved recipe is all about. If you are a fan of Indo-Chinese flavors like me, you will agree that this Chinese sweet corn soup recipe and its distinct flavor never get old. Simple ingredients, an easy method and few minutes near the gas stove will give you a delicious soup that will whet your appetite for more.
When the chill in the air hits you, the cravings for some good old soup are oh so real. Cold weather and hot soup are the true romance. Soups are like little bowls of magic because they fill you up plus they’re an insanely good comforting meal. There are thick soups with creamy bases like mushroom soup; there are ones which are full of vegetables such as the minestrone. And then there are lighter on the tummy like this sweet corn soup which is an absolute joy and packed with subtle flavors.
The Chinese style sweet corn soup definitely needs no introduction, it is THAT firmly etched in all our food memories. Every dinner party with family or friends begin with a warm bowl of delicious veg sweet corn soup. This soup is certainly the most common soup orders at any restaurant in India.
The Indo – Chinese Sweet Corn Soup, however, is very close to an authentic Chinese soup recipe, with the addition of Indian flavors. Like, a lot of seasonal vegetables are added along with a dash of green chilies. Vegetable stock usually forms the base for this soup and a cornflour slurry helps to get the right texture.
How do you make egg soup with corn?
- In a wok or saucepan, allow the sweet corn soup to boil.
- Whisk one or two eggs in a bowl.
- Slowly, with a steady flow pour the whisked eggs in the boiling soup. Stir the soup continuously in a clockwise direction with the other hand.
- After, few minutes you will notice shreds of egg in the soup. Add cornflour paste and stir to combine.
- Garnish egg sweet corn soup with spring onion and black pepper.
How do you make chicken sweet corn soup?
- If you want to make a meaty version of this soup, use either chicken stock or the readymade stock cubes for the base of the soup instead of water.
- In a large saucepan, boil one chicken breast along with a pinch of salt. Once the chicken is tender, transfer it to a plate and shred it using a fork.
- Add the shredded chicken in the simmering sweet corn soup, stir and cook for a few minutes. Next, add the cornflour paste and stir to combine.
- Garnish chicken sweet corn soup with spring onion and black pepper.
Watch Chinese Sweet Corn Soup Recipe Video:
Other dishes from corn you might like to try:
For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
Chinese Sweet Corn Soup Recipe
To Make Corn Paste:
- 1/2 Cup sweet corn kernels (makke ke dane)
- 1/4 Cup water
- 2 - 3 pods of garlic, fine chopped
- half inch piece of ginger, fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup spring onion (white part), fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup carrot, fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup french beans, fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon green chilli vinegar (see recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 Cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon spring onion greens, fine chopped
- 2 tablespoon refined oil
- To make corn paste, combine sweet corn kernels and water in a food processor or blender. Make a coarse paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or a wok.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and stir-fry for a 10 - 20 seconds or till the aroma of herbs are released.
- Next, add the chopped spring onion and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add all the vegetables including corn kernels and fry for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the corn paste and stir to combine nicely.
- Add water, soy sauce, chili vinegar, salt, pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- While the soup is simmering, combine cornflour with 1/4 cup of water and make a smooth paste.
- Slowly, with a steady flow add the cornflour slurry to the simmering soup. Make sure soup is not boiling while adding the cornflour. Stir continuously to avoid lump formation.
- Allow the soup to simmer for next few minutes until it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Garnish sweet corn soup with spring onion greens.
- Serve Chinese Sweet Corn Soup warm.
- If you’re using readymade stock cubes, make sure to adjust the amount of salt accordingly. Stock cubes might also contain MSG.
- You can use both fresh or frozen corn kernels for this recipe.
- Cornstarch is used to thicken the soup and give it the slightly thick, translucent look we’re all familiar with. Mix cornflour with a little bit of water in a cup to make a paste and stir nicely. Ensure that no lumps form. Pour this slowly into the final stages of cooking the soup while stirring to get a smooth consistency. Adding cornflour directly to the soup may give you a lumpy, unappetizing soup.
Watch Recipe Video