In the cold weather or on a busy weeknight nothing seems to be more soothing than a bowl of steaming creamy soup. Mushroom Broccoli Soup is one such comforting soup recipe that is perfect for all seasons. It is rich in iron and low on the calorie count. It takes no time to make cream of broccoli soup from scratch at home. It requires 30 minutes including preparation time to make a hearty bowl of mushroom broccoli soup.
The taste of homemade soups is much better than the canned or store bought ones. And soup making is not at all a time taking chore. There is something therapeutic about making your soup from scratch. The flavor can be customized, and there is so much room to play with seasonal vegetables. The taste of soup made with fresh vegetables and herbs without any added preservatives merely is divine.
Mushroom and broccoli in soup is a match made in heaven. When these two stirred up with a dash of garlic and peppercorns, they make a delicious bowl of creamy soup. We avoid adding cream to our everyday soups. Instead, a small cup of milk is added to get the desired creaminess. This mushroom broccoli soup is one of my favorite healthy gluten-free soup recipes. I like my soups to have a bit of texture. Hence, most of the time, I don’t even puree the soup to a smooth consistency. A hand blender does the job for me.
If you are planning a vegan or no dairy broccoli soup, then skip adding milk to the soup. Simply, puree the soup, reheat and serve warm. The mushrooms added in the soup make it creamy enough. Or a dash of almond milk can also be added for a creamy texture and nutty flavor in the soup.
The topping of extra virgin olive oil, toasted pumpkin seeds and a slice of warm bread on the side makes this creamy mushroom soup picture perfect for the weeknight dinner. A large bowl of mushroom broccoli soup with two to three slices of toasted bread is good enough to satisfy you for the dinner time.
Did you know? A cooked cup of broccoli provides Vitamin C equals to an orange. And the mushrooms are super-rich in vitamins and minerals. Hence, this mushroom broccoli soup is an excellent healthy dish that is low on calories too.
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like To Try:
Step-By-Step Mushroom Broccoli Soup Recipe
It takes no time to make mushroom broccoli soup from scratch at home. Learn how to make cream of broccoli and mushroom soup.
- 1 large-size broccoli cut into florets
- 5 - 6 button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium-size onion chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 Cup vegetable stock or water
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup milk
- Chop mushrooms into cubes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and peppercorns. Once these start to crackle, add chopped onion and garlic.
- Saute for few seconds or till onion turn translucent. No need to brown the onion.
- Next add the chopped mushroom and saute for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets. Saute the vegetables for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add warm stock or water and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- Let the soup simmer over medium heat till vegetables are cooked through and the liquid has reduced to almost half the original amount. Then turn off the heat.
- Allow the soup to cool down a bit. Using a food processor or blender puree the soup to a smooth consistency.
Strain the soup with a sieve (if you need smooth consistency). Once again transfer the soup to the same saucepan and turn on the heat.
- Bring the soup to the boil once and add milk. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning. Let the soup simmer for few more minutes.
Serve Mushroom Broccoli Soup warm topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and a splash of cream.
The calories mentioned are for one bowl of soup approximately 375 gram.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!