This is a healthy, vegan, one-pot broccoli soup recipe. Almonds and broccoli when these two are stirred up together – the end result is a comforting bowl of creamy broccoli soup. Be sure to watch the video!
Is Broccoli Soup Healthy?
Did you know? A cooked cup of broccoli provides Vitamin C equal to an orange. (Try my broccoli pesto, or malai broccoli it’s pretty amazing too).
Almonds are rich in nutrients that help protect the heart, including unsaturated fatty acids, magnesium, and Vitamin E.
This is a vegan, gluten-free, preservative-free soup recipe.
The taste of the homemade soup is much better than the canned or store-bought ones. There is something therapeutic about making soup from scratch.
The desired creaminess in the soup comes from almonds and coconut milk.
Broccoli Florets – you can use fresh or frozen. I highly recommend using fresh broccoli florets for bright green color and natural taste.
Almond – you need skinless almonds for this soup recipe.
Coriander Stalks: Tender cilantro stalks give a refreshing taste and aroma to the soup. However, it is an optional ingredient.
Milk – for a creamy mouthfeel and delicious taste use almond or coconut milk.
Vegetable Stock, or one bouillon cube.
Onion, Garlic (loads of it), Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil
Watch Broccoli Soup Video
My Tried and True Tips
Do NOT overcook the soup. Dishes like soup are not meant for rigorous cooking especially the ones with green vegetables like broccoli. Overcooking kills the nutrients and the natural taste of the vegetables.
Pick QUALITY ingredients. Rancid almonds or stale broccoli will not give you a delicious bowl of soup.
Build LAYERS of flavor by using stock instead of water. If stock is not available you can use 1 stock cube or bullion. A splash of coconut milk also gives a great depth of flavor and creamy mouthfeel to the broccoli soup.
The topping of extra virgin olive oil, almond flakes or sliced almonds, and a slice of warm bread on the side makes this creamy broccoli soup picture perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner.
Here are a few side-dish suggestions to serve with this healthy soup:
More Soup Recipes
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Healthy Almond Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 250 gram broccoli florets (approx 1 small size broccoli)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- ½ Cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ Cup almonds, skinned
- 1 tablespoon cilantro stalks, chopped
- 2 ½ Cup vegetable stock or water (Get Recipe)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ Cup coconut milk
Ingredients For Garnish
- 1 teaspoon almond flakes
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream (optional)
- Rinse the broccoli florets with water. Keep in a colander aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan or casserole. Add garlic and onion. Saute them for 2 minutes to release the aroma. No need to brown the garlic or onion.
- Next, add almonds (without skin), cilantro stalks, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli florets. Saute for a minute. Add stock or water, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover the pan with the lid. Cook the soup for 10 minutes or till broccoli florets are tender.
- Blend the soup to a smooth consistency. You can use an immersion blender for this purpose.
- Add soup back to the saucepan (if you used a standing blender). Add coconut milk. Bring the soup to the simmer. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning. Let the soup simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Serve Broccoli Soup warm topped with toasted almond flakes, fresh cilantro, and a splash of coconut cream.
- You can make this soup in an instant pot as well. Either way, it is a one-pot soup recipe.
- You can blanch the almonds in water or soak them overnight in water to remove the brown skin. Do not add almonds with brown skin to the soup.
- Instead of coconut milk, you can use almond milk, cashew milk, or regular milk if you are not vegan.
- Do not cook the soup for too long as we want to retain the nutrients of the vegetables.
- You can store the broccoli soup in the refrigerator for a week. Reheat it in a saucepan or microwave before serving. The color of the soup might change after a few days.
- If your blender is not heat resistant then allow the soup to cool down a bit before blending. You can blend it in small batches as well.
- I use an immersion blender to blend the soups in the cooking pot itself. You can transfer the soup to a separate blender or Nutri Bullet for blending.
Loved this soup! I’m sensitive to coconut, so used rice milk. I’m going to add carrots, next time.
Hina Gujral says
Great. Recipes are all about adaptation.
Iqbal kaur says
Very interesting recipes
Hina Gujral says
thank you so much!