Roasted Pumpkin Soup is a hearty and filling, gluten-free vegan soup. It is the best way to celebrate the season of pumpkin and harvest. Serve pumpkin soup with crusty bread, or grilled cheese sandwiches to make a wholesome winter meal.
About Pumpkin Soup
Whether it’s pumpkin carving for Halloween or pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, this squash is the flavor of the fall season.
Haitians moved to America and brought along with them the pumpkin soup recipe which is now specially made during Thanksgiving or to celebrate the harvest season.
Something is genuinely comforting about eating a bowl full of delicious creaminess when there is a nip in the air. That is the reason why roasted pumpkin soup is such a good idea for the Holiday season.
It contains all the nutrition you need for the transition from warm weather to the cold, long nights ahead.
Roasting Pumpkin For Soup
Roasted pumpkins form the base of this soup.
Roasting ingredients makes them richer in flavor – from garlic, herbs to the pumpkin. It gives a unique, smoked flavor that’s hard not to love.
Roasting also makes the pumpkin flesh delightfully soft and easy to blend – perfect for soup or puree.
How To Roast Pumpkin
For pumpkin soup, we’ll be roasting the pumpkins after cutting them in half and scooping out all the seeds. (Quick note: wash and save the seeds to roast and eat as healthy bites.)
Once the pumpkin is deseeded, place it face up on a sheet pan along with garlic cloves and herbs (sage/thyme/rosemary/oregano) of your choice.
You can also add some chunky bits of onions and bell peppers to the sheet pan to roast alongside.
Sprinkle salt, pepper generously on top of the pumpkins, and drizzle with olive oil.
Roast the pumpkin for about 40 – 60 minutes (depending on the size of the pumpkin) in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celcius.
After roasting, scoop out the tender pulp of the pumpkin and puree in the food processor. You can easily store this pumpkin puree for a week in the fridge.
Adding a selection of fresh herbs, spices, and aromatics help enhance the flavor of the soup.
Here are some flavors that one can add to the pumpkin soup:
- roasted onion
- roasted carrot
- garlic and basil
- Rosemary, sage, or thyme
- lemongrass and kaffir lime
- Indian spices such as red chili, turmeric, and ginger
- To give the soup a coastal flavor, add some coconut milk or thick coconut cream.
Pumpkin Soup is gratifying by itself.
However, everyone has favorite side dishes to serve with pumpkin soup. Here are a few of my suggestions:
grilled cheese sandwich
More Soup Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 Cup diced yellow pumpkin
- 1 onion, cut into half
- 1 garlic pod, cut into half
- 2 – 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 Cup vegetable stock
- ¼ Cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- Preparing Pumpkin:
- Start off with washing and wiping the pumpkin. Carefully, cut it into halves.
- Using a spoon, remove the seeds and fibers from the center of the pumpkin. If a pumpkin is of a little bigger in size, then slice it into the quarter.
How To Roast Pumpkin:
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Celcius.
- Place the pumpkin slices in a baking tray. Place a 2 – 3 sprig of rosemary along with a whole garlic pod and onion in between pumpkin slices. Sprinkle salt and drizzle 2 – 3 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the pumpkin slices.
- Bake pumpkin for 20 minutes each side. Check using a fork, if the pumpkin flesh is tender. Baking time may vary, depending upon the size and variety of the pumpkin. So check after the first 20 minutes.
- If it is roasted well, the flesh would scoop off easily. If not, then pop it back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Once roasted, scoop out the flesh of the pumpkin. Discard the skin. Grind the roasted pumpkin pulp along with garlic cloves and onion to a smooth puree.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup:
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Add pumpkin puree.
- Add warm vegetable stock in the same saucepan. As the liquid comes to a boil reduce the heat to medium and let the soup simmer for 10 – 15 minutes more. Taste, add salt, pepper, cream or coconut milk accordingly. Turn off the heat.
- Serve Roasted Pumpkin Soup warm garnished with cream and chopped parsley.
- You can roast the pumpkin in a BBQ or over the stovetop as well.
- Adding cream or coconut milk is optional.
- Do not cook the soup for too long after adding coconut milk.