Easy Christmas Cake Recipes You Might Like To Try:
Traditional Christmas Cake loaded with the goodness of rum soaked dry fruit and nuts. Learn how to make the best Christmas cake in a few simple steps.
- 25 gram black seedless raisins
- 25 gram regular raisins
- 25 gram dried candied ginger
- 25 gram walnuts
- 25 gram dates
- 50 gram candied orange peels
- 50 gram mixed candied tutti frutti
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala ( see recipe here)
- 1/4 Cup rum/brandy
- 1/4 Cup red wine
- 1/2 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 Cup water, at room temperature
- 125 gram (1 Cup) all-purpose flour (maida)
- 125 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100 gram granulated white sugar
- 3 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon rum essence (optional)
- 1 teasponn vanilla essence
- 2 heaped spoonfuls of caramelized sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala ( see recipe here)
- dry fruits soaked in rum
For soaking fruits, mix all the candied fruits in a bowl and pour in rum and, wine along with garam masala. Mix nicely with fingers and transfer to clean airtight container. This can be done one - two months before or you can either do it one-two night before making the cake.
Caramelize sugar before starting the cake and set it aside to cool down. In a pan on low heat, melt sugar slowly. It will first melt and then turn into a dark brown goop. Keep stirring and let it turn a deep dark caramel color. Don’t let it burn. Keep the flame on low, add about 1/4 cup water and stay away because there will bubble and roar like a volcano eruption.
The sugar will harden and form crystals. Slowly heat the mixture until the sugar crystals dissolve and keep stirring it. This will take around 10 mins. Let this cool and set aside. Do not worry about the consistency it will be like thick honey or molasses.
Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180C.
Line a round baking tin with parchment paper and grease sides well with butter.
Sift the flour, baking powder, garam masala powder, and salt in a bowl. Add soaked dry fruits and mix nicely until all coated well.
Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color – about 10 mins by hand, 3-4 mins with a hand mixer. Add rum essence, vanilla essence and mix until combined.
Add egg one at a time, beating each time for about 1 – 2 minutes using a hand mixer.
Fold in the flour mixture one-third at a time and mix gently using a spatula. combine all the ingredients nicely to form a smooth cake batter.
- Add the cooled caramel gently fold in.
Pour cake batter into the greased cake tin. Tap once or twice on the kitchen counter to release any air trapped.
Bake for 50-55 mins until the top turns into a dark brown color and when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out with dry crumbs. You can start checking from 45 mins but usually, in our oven, it takes up to 55 mins. The top will look like it’s overdone but don’t worry, make sure the inside is also completely cooked.
- Once the cake cools down completely, brush it with some leftover rum and cover it with foil and leave it in the oven or some warm place overnight or until you need it. This way it has a nice matured flavor.
Dust the Christmas cake with the icing sugar before serving.
Store Christmas cake at room temperature for up to a month in an air-tight container.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!