Meet our midweek snacking favorite – Crispy Lotus Stem. On the table in approximately 30 minutes. What else you need during a busy weekday to pamper the taste buds. I won’t say this lotus stem stir-fry is healthy but it is definitely better than any Chinese takeout you are planning for the weekday dinner. Load it with your favorite vegetables/greens and you are all set for the crunchy stir-fry meal.
Is it essential to deep-fry the lotus stem for this recipe? Absolutely not!
You can bake them in the oven as well dressed in a little bit of olive oil. Bake at 180 degrees C until the lotus stem turns crisp and crunchy.
Or if you have the luxury of an air-fryer nothing like it. Air fry the lotus stem slices to get the right texture. And then, of course, we can rate lotus stem stir fry as a healthy meal choice.
Bright and colorful, this Crispy Lotus Stem Stir Fry is absolutely simple to make. I have already made it twice this week. And still not getting over it.
One more secret I want to share with you about this quick lotus stem stir fry. You can make it saucier. How?
Once you deep-fry the lotus stem do not discard the leftover cornstarch mixture in the bowl. Add approximately 1/3 cup of water to it and make a smooth paste. Pour this liquid into the stir fry after adding the sauces and stir to combine. Allow it to simmer before adding the lotus stem. You will get a thick, saucy liquid to enjoy with the crispy lotus stem stir fry.
Did you know that one can make a delicious Indian curry with the lotus stem? If interested, check out this Lotus Stem Curry Recipe that is totally gluten-free and vegan too!
Watch Crispy Lotus Stem Step-By-Step Video:
More Indian Chinese Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Crispy Lotus Stem Stir Fry Recipe
- 2 medium-size tender lotus roots (kamal kakdi)
- 1 onion, fine chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- Oil for deep-frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Marinate
- 1/4 Cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon maida (all-purpose flour)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients to Garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- 1 tablespoon crushed peanuts
- Peel and slice the lotus stem into thin slices.
- Soak the lotus stem slices in water with little bit of salt for 5 minutes.
- This step ensures that all the mud and dirt is removed from the lotus stem.
- Drain the water and spread the lotus stem slices on a kitchen towel.
- Allow them to dry. If required pat dry with another kitchen towel.
- In a bowl combine lotus stem slices, corn starch, salt and pepper. Mix nicely.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to deep fry the lotus stem slices.
- Deep-fry the lotus stem slices in small batches until they turn crisp from both the sides. Transfer to a plate/colander and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a wok/frying – pan.
- Add ginger, garlic and red chilli. Stir fry for less than a minutes.
- Add sliced onion and again cook for few seconds or till onion turn soft.
- Add the bell pepper and capsicum. Stir fry them for a minute.
- Now add the vinegar, sauces, salt and pepper. Combine nicely.
- Next add the fried lotus stem slices. Mix nicely to coat lotus stem with the sauces.Turn off the heat.
- Serve Crispy Lotus Stem Stir Fry garnished with spring onion greens and crushed peanuts.