This is a healthy, creamy, gluten-free mushroom soup recipe of my dreams. It is so easy to make, tasty to the core, and a one-pot wonder. You do not need flour or cream to make this comforting bowl of mushroom soup. Simply, follow my step-step recipe guide.
I love mushrooms in my soup! They make soup so creamy, earthy, and full of flavors.
Bonus — this velvety, smooth, rich, and oh-so-healthy mushroom soup is so simple to make and takes only 20 minutes.
More Reasons To LOVE Mushroom Soup Recipe
one-pot soup recipe
no flour or heavy cream
healthy and low in calories
thick, creamy, luscious texture
no added starch or thickening agent
You do not need a long list of ingredients for making this healthy mushroom soup. A few pantry staples are enough.
Mushrooms: I have used button mushrooms for making this soup. You can use fresh brown, cremini mushrooms, mini portobello mushrooms, or a combination of wild mushrooms.
Onion & Garlic: These are the two key flavoring agents in this soup. I cannot imagine mushroom soup without tons of garlic. They are a match made in heaven.
Olive Oil: Use olive oil to save some calories. One can use butter as well to saute the ingredients. Or a combination of olive oil and butter.
Salt & Pepper to taste
Thyme: A dash of fresh thyme make an ordinary mushroom soup into a gratifying bowl of creamy goodness. Highly recommended!
Stock: A vegetable stock gives so much flavor and depth to any soup than regular water. If stock not available, use 1 stock cube or bouillon dissolved in water.
Milk: Use full-fat milk instead of cream. It does not make soup heavy and gives the much-required creaminess.
Watch Mushroom Soup Recipe Video
My 2-Secret Tips
Instead of cream, we have used milk. You will be surprised to know that milk gives the same creaminess and texture to the soup as heavy cream.
And to make the mushroom soup thick without flour or starch, blend half of the mushrooms into a smooth puree and add back to the soup.
These two pro tips will help you to make a delicious healthy mushroom soup without any flour, starch, or cream.
When it comes to dishing up this mushroom soup, pile it high with your favorite toppings – roasted garlic, bread croutons, or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
However, this soup is extremely versatile, so feel free to top it up with the ingredients you love best like shredded chicken, roasted mushrooms, bacon, or caramelized nuts.
You can serve the mushroom soup with herb focaccia bread or any other artisnal bread of choice for dinner.
I love the crunch of the bread and the freshness of herbs with every spoonful of creamy mushroom soup.
FAQs Related To Mushroom Soup
What can I use instead of cream in mushroom soup?
You can substitute cream with full-fat milk and let it simmer over a low flame to prevent curdling. The full-fat milk is thick enough to form a cream base without the use of any flour.
How to make vegan mushroom soup?
Replace regular milk with almond milk and you have a delicious, creamy, gluten-free, vegan soup.
How to thicken cream of mushroom soup?
The best way to make the perfect thick soup is to follow my mushroom soup recipe to the tee, there is no way you can go wrong with the consistency. The addition of milk and blending half of mushrooms always gives you a perfectly creamy soup without adding flour or thickening agent.
How To Make Mushroom Soup in an Instant Pot?
Set SAUTE mode for 5 minutes. Add oil, garlic, onion, thyme and saute for a minute. Add mushroom, salt and saute till mushrooms are caramelized. Remove half of the mushrooms and blend them. Add stock and stir. Close lid. PRESSURE Cook for 5 minutes. Open lid, add milk, mushroom puree, and pepper. Stir. Soup is ready!
More Soup Recipes For You
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Healthy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 500- gram mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ Cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dry thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Cup vegetable stock or broth
- 1 Cup milk
- Wash, clean, and roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add finely chopped garlic, onion, thyme, and saute for a minute to release the aroma and infuse the flavor in the oil.
- Add chopped mushrooms, and season with salt. Saute till mushrooms are caramelized and all the liquid is evaporated. Remove half of the sauteed mushrooms.
- Blend the removed mushrooms to a smooth puree or paste. Set aside.
- Add vegetable stock to the remaining mushrooms, stir to combine, and close the lid of the pan. Cook mushrooms for 5 – 6 minutes over medium heat to soften a bit.
- Open the lid, add milk, mushroom puree, and pepper. Stir to mix, and simmer the soup for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Garnish soup with chopped parsley.
- Serve healthy mushroom soup warm with toasted bread slices.
- I have used button mushrooms to make this soup. You can use any variety of brown or wild mushrooms to make this soup.
- While sauteeing, no need to brown the onion or garlic. A quick sauteeing is fine to infuse the flavor into the oil.
- Make sure milk is at room temperature and not cold. Do not cook the soup for too long after adding the milk.
- Adjust the quantity of liquid according to how thick or thin you like soup.