This is a healthy mushroom soup recipe. It is easy to make, creamy, and a one-pot wonder. You do not need flour or cream to make this comforting bowl of mushroom soup. Be sure to watch the video!
I love mushrooms in my soup! They make soup so creamy, earthy, and full of flavours.
Bonus — this velvety, smooth, rich, and oh-so-healthy mushroom soup is simple to make and takes only 20 minutes.
More Reasons To LOVE Mushroom Soup Recipe
- one-pot soup recipe
- no flour or heavy cream
- healthy and low in calories
- thick, creamy, luscious texture
- no added starch or thickening agent
Mushrooms: I use button mushrooms for making this soup. You can use fresh brown, cremini mushrooms, mini portobello mushrooms, or a combination of wild mushrooms.
Onion & Garlic: These are the two key flavouring agents in this soup. I cannot imagine mushroom soup without tons of garlic. They are a match made in heaven.
Olive Oil: Use olive oil to save some calories. One can use butter as well to saute the ingredients. Or a combination of olive oil and butter.
Salt & Pepper to taste
Thyme: A dash of fresh thyme make an ordinary mushroom soup into a gratifying bowl of creamy goodness. Highly recommended!
Stock: A vegetable stock gives more flavour and depth to any soup than regular water. If stock is unavailable, use 1 stock cube or bouillon dissolved in water.
Milk: Use full-fat milk instead of cream. It does not make soup heavy and gives the much-required creaminess.
Watch Mushroom Soup Video
My 2-Secret Tips
Instead of cream, we have used milk. You will be surprised that milk gives the same creaminess and texture to the soup as heavy cream.
And to make the mushroom soup thick without flour or starch, blend half of the mushrooms into a smooth puree and add them back to the soup.
These two pro tips will help you make a delicious healthy mushroom soup without flour, starch, or cream.
When dishing up this mushroom soup, pile it high with your favourite toppings – roasted garlic, bread croutons, or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
However, this soup is highly versatile, so feel free to top it up with the ingredients you love best, like shredded chicken, roasted mushrooms, bacon, or caramelized nuts.
You can serve the mushroom soup with herb focaccia bread or any other artisanal bread of your choice for dinner.
I love the crunch of the bread and the freshness of herbs with every spoonful of creamy mushroom soup.
FAQs Related To Mushroom Soup
To prevent curdling, you can substitute cream with full-fat milk and let it simmer over a low flame. The full-fat milk is thick enough to form a cream base without using any flour.
Replace regular milk with almond milk and have a delicious, creamy, gluten-free, vegan soup.
The best way to make the perfect thick soup is to follow my mushroom soup recipe to the tee; there is no way you can go wrong with the consistency. Adding milk and blending half of the mushrooms always gives you a perfectly creamy soup without adding flour or a thickening agent.
Set SAUTE mode for 5 minutes. Add oil, garlic, onion, and thyme, and saute for a minute. Add mushroom and salt, and saute till mushrooms are caramelized. Remove half of the mushrooms and blend them. Add stock and stir. Close lid. PRESSURE Cook for 5 minutes. Open the lid, and add milk, mushroom puree, and pepper. Stir. The soup is ready!
More Soup Recipes For You
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you
Healthy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 500- gram mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ Cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dry thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Cup vegetable stock or broth
- 1 Cup milk
- Wash, clean, and roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add finely chopped garlic, onion, thyme, and saute for a minute to release the aroma and infuse the flavor in the oil.
- Add chopped mushrooms, and season with salt. Saute till mushrooms are caramelized and all the liquid is evaporated. Remove half of the sauteed mushrooms.
- Blend the removed mushrooms to a smooth puree or paste. Set aside.
- Add vegetable stock to the remaining mushrooms, stir to combine, and close the lid of the pan. Cook mushrooms for 5 – 6 minutes over medium heat to soften a bit.
- Open the lid, add milk, mushroom puree, and pepper. Stir to mix, and simmer the soup for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Garnish soup with chopped parsley.
- Serve healthy mushroom soup warm with toasted bread slices.
- I have used button mushrooms to make this soup. You can use any variety of brown or wild mushrooms to make this soup.
- While sauteeing, no need to brown the onion or garlic. A quick sauteeing is fine to infuse the flavor into the oil.
- Make sure milk is at room temperature and not cold. Do not cook the soup for too long after adding the milk.
- Adjust the quantity of liquid according to how thick or thin you like soup.
Trendy Women Fashion says
Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.
Hina Gujral says
thanks a ton for such kind words.
Shruthi reddy says
So apt for Bangalore climate! Going to try this soon
The best Mushroom soup ever ! Finding one without flour was difficult and then I stumbled upon this beauty.
Thanks soooo much 🙂 Love, Love, Love !!
Hina Gujral says
Thanks a million for your feedback. Personally, I too don’t prefer soups with flour and this recipe works perfectly for that purpose.
Fran Woodhurst says
Amazing cauliflower curry and mushroom soup, these are the first two I’ve cooked and love them
Hina Gujral says
thank you for such sweet feedback!