Sweet and Sour Chinese Chopsuey is one of my husband’s favorite dishes and during any hour of the day he is ready to eat chopsuey. He wants his chopsuey to be perfect with hint of sweetness and the right balance of spiciness. Here is the brief introduction of Chopsuey, it is a dish in American Chinese Cuisine and other forms of overseas Chinese Cuisine consisting of meat and eggs, cooked quickly with vegetables and bound in a starch-thickened sauce. It is typically served with rice but can become the form of one pot dish with the addition of stir-fried noodles. So here is the recipe…
Sweet and Sour Chopsuey Recipe
Chopsuey, is a dish in American Chinese Cuisine and other forms of overseas Chinese Cuisine consisting of meat and eggs cooked in variety of sauces.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 adults
- 200 gram dry noodles
- 1 medium size onion roughly chopped
- 1 medium size carrot peeled and diced
- 1 capsicum diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 - 8 button mushroom diced
- 4 cloves of garlic fine chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- oil to deep fry the noodles + 2 tbsp
To prepare the sauce
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp red chili sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 1/4 Cup of water
To serve the chopsuey
- 2 - 4 spring onion fine chopped
- Boil the noodles as per the instructions mentioned in the package. Drain and set aside. Divide the boiled noodles into two equal parts.
- Next heat oil in a deep-fry pan over medium heat. Deep fry half of the boiled noodles in batches in the hot oil till crisp. Drain on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil. Set aside.
- Once noodles are fried prepare the sauce for the chopsuey. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic. Stir- Fry over high heat till onion turn soft. Next add the diced vegetables and again stir-fry for next few minutes till vegetables are cooked yet crisp.
- Add the vinegar and stir-fry for few seconds. Next add all the sauces along with water to adjust the consistency of the sauce. Let the sauce come to boil once over high heat then add cornflour dissolved in water. Stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Let the sauce simmer for sometime over medium heat till it thickens. Next add the boiled noodles to the simmering sauce. Stir to combine and bring the sauce to boil once. Turn off the heat.
- To serve the chopsuey, in a bowl add the sauce topped with fried noodles. Meanwhile on a pan heat a tsp of oil and break the egg over. Cook till the egg is half fry. Place this egg over fried noodles. Sprinkle chopped spring onion on top along with crushed black pepper.
- Serve Chinese Chopsuey hot.
love what you see? Follow @hinagujral on Pinterest!