Tomato Soup – A classic creamy vegetarian, gluten-free soup served with bread croutons and fresh cream. This Indian style creamy tomato soup ticks all of those boxes of a perfect vegetarian soup.
It’s just the perfect weather for soup, isn’t it? What could be more comforting than a bowl of hearty tomato soup with the right amount of tanginess, sweetness, creaminess and a secret ingredient to give it that perfect crunch – bread croutons.
Who else remembers fighting for extra croutons as a child while slurping the delicious soup? Those fried bits of bread were probably never as tempting and gratifying to us, as they were when served with a bowl of homemade soup.
Creamy Tomato Soup is much loved all over the world, but the Indian style version of the dish is a total delight. The Indian style tomato soup is prepared with the addition of – bay leaf, ginger, garlic, onion, and fresh cream.
How To Make Bread Croutons?
Bread Croutons are the key elements of an Indian style tomato soup. And they can be easily prepared at home without any fuss.
Here I am sharing two methods to make bread croutons from scratch at home:
Stovetop Method: Any kind of sandwich bread is good enough to make croutons. Start with removing the edges of the bread slices. Cut each slice of bread into bite-size squares or cubes.
Heat 2 – 4 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is heated, add the bread cubes, gently toss and fry till they turn light brown in color and crisp. Transfer to a plate, sprinkle a little bit of salt and black pepper. Enjoy with your favorite soup.
Oven/Baking Method: Grease a large baking tray with olive oil. Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celcius.
In a bowl combine salt, black pepper, red chili flakes, extra virgin olive oil, and chopped garlic cloves. Whisk nicely. Pour this dressing over the bread cubes and gently toss. Evenly, spread the bread cubes on a greased baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven for 5 – 10 minutes or until light brown in color and crisp.
Tips To Make A Creamy Restaurant Style Tomato Soup:
- Many recipes suggest combining tomatoes and potato or cauliflower to get the creamy consistency. On the other hand, many restaurants add cornstarch to the soup to give it the required thickness instead of adding potato/cauliflower. This isn’t recommended because it washes down the flavor of the tomato and gives it an artificial consistency.
- A perfect soup is always prepared with fresh tomatoes. Try to use the best available local variety of lush and ripe tomatoes to make this soup.
- Ideally, butter is used to make the tomato soup. The slightly sauteed butter gives a delectable taste to the soup. However, I have used cooking olive oil in this soup recipe for health reasons.
- Avoid adding too much water in the soup else you will not get a thick consistency. Allow the tomatoes to release their juices before adding any amount of water.
- Never, ever, forget to sieve the blended soup. Else the texture of the soup will not be smooth and silky.
Watch Tomato Soup Recipe Video:
Easy Soup Recipes You Might Like To Try:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
- 500 gram ripe tomato
- 1 large-size red carrot
- 4 cloves garlic
- half inch piece of ginger
- 1 large-size onion
- 2 tablespoon cooking olive oil or butter
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 Cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 2 Cup water
Prep Work For Tomato Soup:
- Roughly chop onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and carrot before starting the soup.
How To Make Fresh Tomato Soup:
- Heat oil in a saucepan or a heavy bottom pan.
- Add the bay leaf, chopped garlic, ginger, onion and saute till the aroma of herbs is released. No need to brown the onions or garlic.
- Next, add the chopped carrot and saute for a 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and saute for 5 minutes. Cover the saucepan with a lid and allow the tomatoes to cook over low heat.
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy and release their juices, remove the lid. Gently mash the vegetables using the back of the ladle/spoon. Turn off the heat.
- Once the vegetables cool down a bit, transfer the vegetables to a blender and make a smooth puree.
- Place a sieve over the same saucepan. Pour the vegetable puree over the sieve. Gently stir to get the smooth soup into the saucepan. Turn on the heat.
- Add black pepper, tomato ketchup, cream and water to the soup. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the tomato soup for 3 – 5 minutes over low heat. If the consistency seems too thick add a little bit more water. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Serve tomato soup with bread croutons, a drizzle of fresh cream and chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- You can make this soup vegan by using coconut milk or cream.
- For thickness, add 1 Cup diced potato while sauteeing carrot.
- This tomato soup can be easily done in an instant pot or pressure cooker. It takes only 10 minutes in an instant pot.
- Instead of tomato ketchup you can use tomato paste or tomato pasta/pizza sauce.