Chilli Garlic Noodles is a spicy, Indian Chinese style noodles stir-fry with loads of vegetables. It’s a hot favorite vegan dish that’s loved by just about everyone and can be stirred up under 15 mins for the dinner, lunchboxes, or whenever you feel like it.
Indian Chinese Cuisine :
Indo-Chinese Cuisine is a rage across Indian sub-continent. In simple words, it is the spicy makeover of popular Chinese dishes to suit the Indian palate. Indo-Chinese Cuisine (also read: 10 Best Indo-Chinese Party Recipes) is characterized by the presence of dishes like manchurian, chowmein, fried rice, spring roll, and many other fried snacks.
Over the years, the Indo-Chinese Cuisines has come across more of a takeaway style food which one like to binge on Friday night.
What is the difference between chilli garlic noodles and chowmein?
The sauce and the ingredients are the key differentiating factor between the chilli garlic noodles and chowmein. The chowmein or lo mein is more street style version of the garlic noodles. The noodles are tossed on high heat with lots of spices, sauces, and a truckload of vegetables or chicken. Whereas in chilli garlic noodles, the main flavoring agents are the red chilies and the garlic. The addition of vegetables is optional and only selective sauces are added.
Prep Work For Chilli Garlic Noodles:
The chili garlic noodles are a fiery treat. We will be using a few basic Indo-Chinese ingredients and high heat to achieve the smoky spiciness that makes these noodles an ultimate comfort food.
Noodles: Start off with buying a packet of good quality dry noodles. One must stress on quality because cheaper varieties usually turn out mushy or stick to each other. The texture is paramount in any kind of noodles recipe and you don’t want clumpy noodles ruining that for you.
What you can use – Veg/Egg Hakka noodles, wholegrain noodles or any local variety of stir-fry noodles (thin crinkly looking noodles). Don’t buy thicker ones like udon noodles or extremely thin like rice or glass noodles (vermicelli).
This is the variety of noodles I have used for making veg Hakka noodles.
Watch Chilli Garlic Noodles Recipe Video:
Cook the noodles according to package instructions and set aside to drain. Rinse with water to remove excess starch from the boiled noodles. Toss in a tablespoon of oil (preferably sesame oil) to get rid of any stickiness and to separate the noodle strands. Let them sit in the colander.
Sauce: I prefer using the Indian variety of dry red chilies for the fiery chilli garlic noodles. Next, the essential essence of the sauce is finely chopped ginger and a hell lot of garlic. The small bits of garlic when fried in oil with red chili create one flavor bomb.
You can use red chili paste as well but then combine a teaspoon of brown sugar as well for the sweetness.
Vegetables: You can add any vegetables of choice in these garlic noodles. Carrots, bell peppers, onion, capsicum, cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms or green leafy vegetables can be packed with noodles in the chilli garlic noodles. If you are not a big fan of veggies then only stick with red onions.
Step-By-Step Chili Garlic Noodles Recipe:
Boil approximately 500ml of water with 1 teaspoon salt. Add noodles when water starts to boil. (boil for 10-12 minutes depending on the variety of noodles). After draining the noodles rinse with water and add toss gently in a teaspoon of oil.
In a wok over high heat, add in sesame oil or cooking oil. Add ginger, garlic, and dry red chilies. Stir fry over high heat for 1 – 2 minutes without burning the aromatics. Add the sliced onion and stir fry for 1 – 2 minute or till onion turn translucent.
Add veggies and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes or till al dente. Add white vinegar. Add the sauce mix, salt, black pepper, and mix nicely.
Next, add boiled noodles and gently toss with the vegetables without breaking the noodles. Top off with spring onion greens and sesame seeds and enjoy a lip-smacking meal.
Some Great Indian-Chinese Main-Course Recipes:
For more such fun recipes in your life subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Chilli Garlic Noodles Recipe
- 200 gram dry Hakka noodles
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil or cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 dry red chili or to taste
- 1 Cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced capsicum/bell pepper
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced cabbage
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce or sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
Prep Work For Noodles:
- Boil approximately 500ml of water with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add noodles when water starts to boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes depending on the variety of noodles. After draining the noodles toss gently in a teaspoon of oil. Or cook noodles as per packet instructions.
- Slice the vegetables, ginger, and garlic. Set aside.
Prepare Chilli Garlic Noodles:
- In a wok over high heat, add in sesame oil or cooking oil. Add ginger, garlic, and dry red chilies. Stir fry over high heat for 1 – 2 minutes without burning the aromatics. Add the sliced onion and stir fry for 1 – 2 minute or till onion turn translucent.
- Add the sliced veggies and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes or till al dente. Add white vinegar and mix nicely. Next, add the soy sauce, salt, pepper, red chili flakes, and chili sauce. Stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Next, add the boiled noodles and gently toss with the vegetables without breaking the noodles. Top off with spring onion greens.
- Serve Chilli Garlic Noodles with Manchurian gravy for dinner.
- Recommended Equipment: Chinese Wok (Buy It Here)
- To avoid soggy vegetables in this dish, chop all vegetables very finely into juliennes.
- Vegetables that need longer time to cook must be blanched separately before adding to the dish
- Ideal protein choices for this dish are firm tofu cubes, lean chicken cut into strips, shrimp or mushroom as all of them cook really quickly
- Be mindful when adding salt to this dish as all the sauces contain salt in them
- Do not forget to rinse the noodles with water to remove the stickiness after boiling.