Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce is a delicious Chinese-style vegetarian gravy. It is a main course dish that pairs well with stir-fry noodles or fried rice. Be sure to watch the video!
What is vegetable hot garlic sauce?
The tone and flavors of the vegetables in hot garlic sauce are inspired by Indian – Chinese fusion cuisine, with garlic and red chili being the primary tastemakers. It is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a one-pot, vegan meal that packs a lot of fresh vegetables.
The Hot Garlic Sauce
The best part of this takeaway-style recipe is undoubtedly the hot garlic sauce. It is finger-licking good. It is so satisfying to dig into it and take a mouthful of pure, oriental bliss.
Did I tell you that hot garlic sauce can be easily customized? Yes, you can make it more spicy or garlicky as per your liking.
The spicy garlic sauce is quite a multi-purpose one. From vegetables to fried chicken, anything tastes good with it.
Ingredients For Hot garlic Sauce
- A load of garlic
- Whole dry red chilies (sabut lal mirch)
- Red Chili Flakes
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Sriracha Sauce or red chili paste
- Sesame oil
How To Make
Chop Vegetables: Wash, clean, and chop a choice of vegetables into bite-size pieces (you can use bok choy, carrot, bean sprouts, broccoli, bell peppers, wild mushrooms, tofu, or whatever you like).
Aromatics: Peel and finely chop garlic – this is the dish’s star – add a little more quantity than usual for a stronger flavor. Similarly, finely chop ginger and celery as well.
Prepare Sauce Mix: Combine brown sugar, red chili flakes, soy sauce, and sriracha sauce. Mix nicely and keep aside till required.
Cornflour Paste: Mix cornflour in water in a small bowl to form a thick paste/slurry and set aside. Cornflour paste is commonly used as a thickening agent in Indian – Chinese recipes.
Tip: Keep all your ingredients ready because one must operate fast while cooking this dish to get a perfect stir-fry without undercooking or burning the ingredients.
Stir-Fry Vegetables: Add oil to your favorite Chinese wok and wait until it gets hot. Now add in all the vegetables and stir fry on high heat. Make sure not to cook vegetables for too long. Transfer to a plate and use the same pan for making hot garlic sauce.
Prepare Gravy: To the same wok, add sesame oil and wait till it gets hot. Add finely chopped garlic, ginger, celery, and whole red chilies. Toss well, taking good care not to burn them – they should be golden brown but not burnt. Add the spring onion whites or regular onions and toss through till fragrant.
Next, add the vinegar and the sauce mix prepared in step 3. Stir to combine. Add vegetable stock or lukewarm water, followed by the cornflour paste prepared in step 4. Season with salt to taste. Gently stir to avoid the formation of any lumps.
Once the sauce reaches a sweet corn-soup like consistency, add the stir-fried vegetables and cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
You can serve it with jasmine rice or plain basmati rice as well.
More Indian-Chinese Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a rating. This helps us grow and reach more food lovers like you.
Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce
Ingredients For Hot Garlic Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes or to taste
- ¼ Cup red chili sauce or Sriracha sauce
- 1 large-size onion, diced
- 1 Cup diced green capsicum
- 1 Cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 Cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 Cup diced mushrooms
- 1 Cup diced baby corn (cut into half inch pieces)
- 1 Cup sliced zuchinni (cut into semi-circles)
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 8 -10 garlic cloves, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoon fine chopped celery
- 2 – 4 whole dry red chilies (sabut lal mirch)
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch)
- 3 – 4 cup water
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped spring onion greens
- 1 tablespoon roasted crushed peanuts (moongphalli)
- 1 fresh red chili fine chopped (optional)
- Wash, clean and chop choice of vegetables into equal size pieces (refer to the video for vegetable cuts).
- Dissolve cornflour in ½ cup of water and keep aside until required.
- Combine brown sugar, red chili flakes, soy sauce and Sriracha sauce. Mix nicely and keep aside till required.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok or stir-fry pan. Add all the vegetables except onion and stir-fry on high heat for 3 – 5 minutes. Make sure not to cook vegetables for too long. Transfer to a plate and use the same pan for making hot garlic sauce.
Vegetables In Hot Garlic Sauce:
- Heat sesame oil in the same wok. Add finely chopped garlic, whole red chilies, ginger and celery. Give it a quick stir for a 1 – 2 minutes to release the aroma of the herbs.
- Add diced onion and stir-fry for a minute or till onion become translucent.
- Pour white vinegar and mix nicely the ingredients to glaze the pan.
- Next, add the prepared hot garlic sauce mix. Stir to combine. Add water and give sauce a good stir. Season with salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Now, add the cornflour slurry or paste and continuously stir the sauce to avoid any lump formation. Once the sauce starts thickening, add stir-fried vegetables. Allow the sauce to simmer for 1 – 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish the gravy with spring onion, crushed peanuts and red chili.
- Serve vegetables in hot garlic sauce with fried rice or noodles.
- Keep all your ingredients ready because one is required to work fast with this dish to get a perfect stir-fry without being burnt or undercooked.
- You can use any variety of vegetables such as bok choy, carrot, bean sprouts, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, or whatever you like.
- Adjust the amount of chili as per your taste. My recipe has a medium spicy taste.
- You can add vegetable stock as well instead of water in the gravy sauce.