Chilli Mushroom is an Indian-Chinese vegetarian gravy made with button mushrooms, colorful peppers covered in a sweet and spicy sauce. You can serve dry mushroom chilli as snacks or with little extra sauce it complements fried rice perfectly. This vegan chili sauce is every mushroom lover’s dream come true.
About Indian Chinese Cuisine…
So what really is Indo-Chinese Cuisine? The quick Chinese stir-fry cooking style spiked with the local Indian style zest. The end result is an outburst of addictive flavors.
It is the perfect amalgamation of sweet, spicy, and savory flavors, good enough to make your mouth water just by the look of it.
It all started from the Tangra Region in Kolkatta, West Bengal. The region housed many leather tanneries owned and managed by people of Hakka Chinese origin.
Over the years, the area developed as a small Chinatown. And the immigrants started selling Chinese dishes made with locally available ingredients to the Indian food lovers. Hence, begin the journey of Indian Chinese cuisine.
Today, Indo-Chinese dishes are all over the street food carts, restaurants, and takeaway joints. From chilli chicken, garlic noodles, to manhcurian gravy, each Indo-Chinese dish is quite popular among food lovers in India.
About Chilli Mushroom…
Mushroom Chilli is one of the most popular Indian-Chinese dishes. It is vegan, vegetarian, and made with favorite button mushrooms.
There are two versions of mushroom chilli – dry and gravy. The dry mushroom chilli is served as an appetizer or snack. Whereas, the one with sauce/gravy is served with stir-fry noodles, fried rice, or steamed white rice.
Vegetables: Button Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Capsicum, Red Onion, Spring Onion.
Herbs: Ginger, Garlic
Spices: Dry Red Chilli, Salt, Red Chilli Powder
Sauce: White Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Tomato Sauce
Other Ingredients: Corn starch (flour), cooking oil, water, cashews
How To Make Chilli Mushroom At Home
- Start with frying button mushrooms. Cut button mushrooms into chunks or quarters. Coat them in corn starch, salt, red chili, and water batter. Heat oil for frying on a stovetop. Fry mushroom till crisp and golden.
- To make your homemade chilli sauce. Soak dry red chili in hot water. Cover and set aside for 5 – 6 minutes for chilies to soften a bit. Later, blend the chilies along with soaked water, ginger, garlic, onion, and tomato ketchup to a smooth sauce. Set aside.
- Make Chilli Gravy. Heat oil. Fry ginger, garlic, Kashmiri red chili, and onion. Stir Fry. Add white vinegar, soy sauce, and homemade chilli sauce (as per your taste). Cook for a minute. Add corn starch paste, peppers, fried mushroom, and simmer till thick or luscious.
- Top with green onions. Serve immediately.
Chilli Mushroom is a versatile Indian-Chinese main course dish that you can serve with – fried rice, stir-fry noodles, jasmine rice, or steamed white rice. Either ways, it tastes delicious and makes an excellent meal.
More Indian-Chinese Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Chilli Mushroom Recipe
Ingredients For Crispy Mushroom:
- 250 gram button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup corn starch (corn flour)
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 Cup oil for shallow frying
Ingredients For Homemade Chilli Sauce:
- 4 whole dry red chill (sabut lal mirch)
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce or ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup hot water
Ingredients For Gravy:
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 whole Kashmiri red chili
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced capsicum
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Cup water
- 2 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch)
Ingredients For Topping:
- 1 tablespoon spring onion
- 1 tablespoon fried cashews
Crispy Fried Mushroom:
- Cut button mushroom in quarters. Coat them with flour, starch, spices, and a tablespoon of water.
- Heat oil in a wok for frying the mushrooms. Once oil is hot enough, fry mushrooms till crisp and golden from both the sides. Because of moisture, mushroom takes lot of time to become crisp.
- Transfer crispy fried mushroom in a colander. Set them aside.
Make Homemade Chilli Sauce:
- Soak dry red chili in hot water. Cover and set aside for 5 – 6 minutes for chilies to soften a bit. Later, blend the chilies along with soaked water, ginger, garlic, onion, and tomato ketchup to a smooth sauce. Set aside the chilli sauce.
Make Corn Starch Paste:
- For thickening, the sauce, combine 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 1/4 cup of water. Make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
Prepare Chilli Gravy/Sauce:
- Heat cooking oil in a wok. Add chopped ginger, garlic, whole red chilli, and diced onion. Stir fry over high heat for a minute to release the aroma.
- Next, add white vinegar, soy sauce, and the homemade chilli sauce. Stir to combine. Simmer the sauce for a minute. Taste and season with salt according to your preference.
- Add diced peppers, and corn starch paste. Stir the gravy continuously to avoid any lump formation.
- Once chilli gravy starts thickening, add crispy mushroom. Mix nicely. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish chilli mushroom with fried cashews and spring onion.
- Serve chilli mushroom immediatley with fried rice.
- It is best to cut mushrooms into chunks or quarters rather than finely chopped.
- Do not use too much water to prepare marinade coating for mushrooms.
- Homemade chili sauce is spicy in taste. You can add it in less quantity in the gravy and store the remaining sauce in the fridge to use later.
- To make dry chili mushroom for snacks, do not add any water in the gravy.