Veg Manchurian with fried rice is one of the congenial Indo-Chinese comfort food. Light, spongy, deep-fried vegetable meatballs plunged in piquant peppery sauce relished with stir-fried rice. The divine combination is always an in-house favorite Friday night meal. This veg manchurian recipe is tried and tested over the years by me, and confidently I can say it has never failed to yield the most gratifying bowl of manchurian gravy.
You Might Like To Try -> 10 Best Indo-Chinese Party Recipes.
How To Get Perfectly Spongy Manchurian Balls?
There is no secret trick to get perfect restaurant style vegetable balls for the manchurian gravy. However, these little steps do make a hell lot of difference in the texture of the veg meatballs. Firstly, make sure all your vegetables are dry before grating. The last thing you need in dough mixture is a water-clogged vegetable. Pat dry veggies nicely before processing.
Secondly, it is always best to pulse the vegetables in a food processor for the manchurian balls. It makes a lot of difference to the texture of the balls. And make them easy to bind. Often I pulse them all (carrot, cabbage, onion) together in a food processor.
Thirdly, if the dough for veg balls seems sticky, add a tablespoon of cornstarch or breadcrumbs. This way manchurian balls are easy to handle and shape.
That finger licking good Veg Manchurian Gravy…
Watch Step-By-Step Veg Manchurian Recipe Video:
Veg Manchurian Gravy is one of the congenial Indo-Chinese comfort food. Learn how to make veg manchurian recipe in this step-by-step video.
- 1/4 Cup small-size cabbage, grated
- 1/4 Cup medium-size carrot, grated
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon fine chopped ginger
- 1/2 Cup spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size capsicum, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in 4 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon green chili sauce
- 2 Cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
Mix all the ingredients for vegetable balls except oil in a large bowl. Combine with your fingers to get a soft, pliable dough-like mixture. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
Pinch small portion out of the mixture and shape into the small round balls. Once all the balls are ready, keep them in the fridge till oil is heated.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat to fry the Manchurian balls.
Deep fry balls over medium heat in small batches, do not overcrowd the frying pan at one time else balls will not get adequately fried.
- Once balls are deep brown from outside transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Turn off the heat and set balls aside until required.
To prepare the sauce, heat oil in a saucepan add ginger, garlic and saute for a minute. Next, add the chopped onion and fry over high heat for 2 – 3 minutes. No need to wait for the onion to get brown.
Now add chopped capsicum, soya sauce, chili sauce, red chili sauce, salt, black pepper and fry for 5 minutes over medium to high heat.
Add water. Stir to combine and let the Manchurian simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the cornflour paste to thicken the sauce and again simmer the sauce over medium heat. Once sauce is thickened as per desired consistency add the balls to the sauce and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat garnish veg manchurian with chopped spring onion greens.
Serve Veg Manchurian with fried rice or chilli garlic noodles.
- Keeping Manchurian balls in the fridge for 10 – 5 minutes make them firm and there is less chance of balls falling part while deep frying.
- Before deep-frying the balls you can coat them in corn-flour and water mixture for a crisp exterior.
- I have not added any green chilies in the gravy but for a spicier gravy go ahead and add green chilies.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Looking for a foolproof fried rice recipe? We have got one for you. It will perfectly complement the veg manchurian gravy. We just can’t think of manchurian gravy without a bowl of fried rice on the side. Together they are a match made in heaven.
Learn how to make super delicious vegetable fried rice in a few simple steps.
- 1 cup long or medium grained rice
- 4 Cup water
- ¼ cup each of finely chopped spring onion whites
- 1 medium size carrot finely chopped
- Other vegetables capsicum, beans, mushrooms finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Salt and black pepper as per taste
- 2 cooking oil
- Chopped spring onions greens
To make fried rice first, clean and rinse rice until the water runs clear of starch. Soak rice in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain soaked rice and transfer rice to a bowl.
- Boil water in a large pan with salt. When water comes to a gentle boil add drained rice and stir so that rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- On a low to medium flame cook rice stirring occasionally without rice lid.
- When the rice becomes al dente (80% cooked) or just until, turn off the heat and drain rice in a colander. Rinse boiled rice with water and let sit in a colander for few minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Add chopped white onion, garlic and until over high heat for few minutes.
- Then add all the finely chopped vegetables and fry on high heat for 5 minutes. Make sure to continuously toss and stir while until so that , are uniformly cooked and do not get burnt and remain crunchy.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes till everything is evenly combined.
- Turn off the heat garnish with chopped spring onion greens.
Serve the veg fried rice with veg manchurian.