This truly is the BEST red sauce spaghetti recipe. It requires only a good, flavorsome tomato pasta sauce and grilled shrimp. If you are looking for a quick and tasty dinner loaded with shrimp, then you must bookmark this 20-minute red sauce spaghetti recipe.
The 20 Minute Formula
For busy weekdays, I am always looking for dinner recipes that are easy to prepare, tasty to the core, and come together in under 30 minutes. This red sauce spaghetti recipe rain checks all the mentioned criteria of my favorite weeknight dinner.
It is nothing fancy but a simple combination of freshly boiled pasta, and, tomato sauce with an addition of garlic, and shrimp.
With a bottle of pasta sauce sitting in the refrigerator, this red sauce spaghetti comes together in 20 minutes. It takes lesser time to get ready than home delivery from a restaurant. That is the reason it is one of my favorite comfort food.
The key ingredient in this red sauce spaghetti recipe is the tomato sauce. I always have a bottle of my multi-purpose tomato pizza and pasta sauce sitting in the refrigerator. For this 20-minute pasta recipe, it is a savior.
You can make this tomato sauce from scratch for this red sauce spaghetti or prepare a batch while meal-prepping. You can store it in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days.
Now, if you have a readymade bottle of marinara sauce, arrabbiata sauce, or basic tomato pizza sauce, that works too perfectly fine.
With the addition of boiled pasta water, the sauce reaches the perfect consistency and clings to the spaghetti. You can transform this red sauce spaghetti into a pink sauce pasta by using full-fat heavy cream instead of boiled pasta water. Isn’t that cool?
The ingredient list for this red sauce spaghetti recipe is pretty basic.
Pasta: From spaghetti, penne, rigatoni, tagliatelle to rotini or tiny shell pasta, all of these taste good with a robust tomato sauce. I often make another version of red sauce pasta with penne and it tastes delicious too.
Tomato Sauce: Marinara, arrabbiata, or basic tomato sauce for pizza and pasta
Shrimp: Shrimps or prawns both work in this pasta recipe. You can add grilled chicken as well instead of seafood.
Boiled Pasta Water: It gives the desired consistency to the tomato sauce. You can use vegetable stock instead of boiled pasta water.
Garlic: It adds a great taste to the red sauce spaghetti
Seasoning: Italian herbs like oregano, thyme, sage, fresh basil leaves, salt, pepper
Gourmet Touch: A generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
How To Make Red Sauce Spaghetti With Shrimp
Step 1) Boil spaghetti pasta till al dente. Reserve 1 cup boiled pasta water and drain the rest.
Step 2) Heat olive oil, saute garlic, chili flakes (optional), and herbs for a few seconds. Add shrimps and saute till cooked.
Step 3) Add tomato pasta sauce, salt, pepper, boiled pasta water, and SIMMER for 2 – 3 minutes.
Step 4) Add pasta, MIX, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle fresh herbs. ENJOY!
Watch Vegetarian Red Sauce Spaghetti Recipe Video
Serve red sauce spaghetti with toasted garlic bread or focaccia as sides.
A light green salad, garlic roasted potatoes, or broccoli are also nice ideas for the side dishes.
More Pasta Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Red Sauce Spaghetti Recipe With Shrimp
- Stir Fry Pan
- 200 gram spaghetti pasta
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb mix (oregano, thyme, sage)
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 200 gram shrimps/prawns (cleaned and deveined)
- 1 Cup tomato marinara or arabiatta sauce see recipe here
- ½ Cup boiled pasta water
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon green onion or chives, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to packet directions, but reduce the cooking time by 1 minute (because the pasta will cook further in the sauce as well). Hence, it is best to cook pasta al dente.
- Reserve 1 Cup of boiled pasta water, drain the remaining water from the pasta. Rinse pasta with water to stop the cooking process. Set aside in a metal colander.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic, Italian herb, chili flakes, and saute for 20 – 30 seconds to infuse the flavor into the oil. No need to brown the garlic.
- Add shrimps, and saute till they are fully cooked. Shrimp does not take a long time to cook. They are fully cooked in 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add the red pasta sauce, salt, pepper, boiled pasta water, and quickly stir. Simmer the sauce for 5 – 6 minutes. Taste and add more seasoning if required.
- Add boiled pasta and gently toss to coat it with the sauce. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish pasta with fresh basil leaves or chives or green onion.
- Serve red sauce spaghetti with a toasted bread slice.
- Any good quality tomato pasta sauce such as marinara or arrabbiata works for this recipe.
- Adding shrimp is optional. Or you can substitute shrimp with clams, squid, prawns, or any other seafood of choice.
- Pasta absorbs a lot of sauce and liquid, hence adjust the quantity of sauce according to your pasta amount.