This White Sauce Pasta is hands down the clear winner when it comes to healthy and tasty pasta recipes. Loaded with the goodness of veggies cooked in a creamy whole-wheat white sauce, this pasta is indeed a wholesome dish. Be sure to watch the video!
This is not your regular white sauce pasta. Instead, I am sharing a skinny, wholesome, and easy creamy pasta recipe with you.
If you are trying to reduce cheese and cream intake in your everyday meal, this pasta recipe is worth bookmarking. And trust me, it is guaranteed delicious and creamy to the core.
More Reasons To LOVE White Sauce Pasta
kids love it
super easy to make
it has no all-purpose flour
it has no cheese or cream
it is healthy and wholesome
you can add a lot of veggies
lunchbox and meal-prep friendly
Unique White Sauce
The base of this creamy pasta is the white sauce made with 4 -ingredients wheat flour, milk, garlic, and olive oil.
I have replaced all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour (atta) and butter with olive oil for making the healthy white sauce. Many of you will ask me the reason to replace all-purpose flour in the white sauce. One, wheat flour is more wholesome, rich in nutrients, and unprocessed Second, many food lovers are allergic to all-purpose flour.
Trust me, you will get the creamiest white sauce without using any all-purpose flour, butter, cream, or cheese.
Pick Your Pasta
Whole-grain pasta is a perfect choice for making this wholesome dish.
I prefer using whole wheat penne pasta for soaking up all the creamy white sauce.
You can use spaghetti, rigatoni, or macaroni shells for making white sauce pasta.
This pasta recipe is highly customizable. You can make it your own by adding vegetables, grilled chicken, or seafood of choice.
From colorful bell peppers, squash, peas, and corn to fresh greens such as kale, baby spinach, basil, or collard greens, you can add as many vegetables as you want for a vibrant plate of pasta.
Watch Pasta Video
Store white sauce pasta in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It remains fresh and tasty for 2 – 3 days.
Reheat the pasta in the microwave before serving.
It is best not to leave it at room temperature for more than 1 hour as the milk starts spoiling fast.
More Pasta Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
White Sauce Pasta Recipe
- 400 gram dry whole wheat penne pasta
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped parsley
To make the whole wheat white sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour (atta)
- 4 cup milk at room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 6 cups of water in a large saucepan with salt on high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, add the pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente or cooked as per your liking. Once cooked, drain the water, reserve 1 cup of boiled pasta water to flavor the sauce. Rinse the pasta with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
Prepare White Sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and saute for 10 seconds to release the aroma of garlic.
- Next, add whole wheat flour. Saute over low heat for 1 – 2 minutes to release the aroma and roast the flour. Pour the milk steadily with one hand and stir the flour mixture clockwise continuously to avoid any lump formation. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder. Stir to combine. taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add chopped vegetables, boiled pasta, seasoning in the white sauce. Stir to combine.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add reserve boiled pasta water or more milk to get the desired consistency.
- Simmer the pasta and vegetables in the white sauce for 2 – 3 minutes to absorb the flavor. Sprinkle chopped parsley or basil before serving.
- Serve Creamy White Sauce Pasta along with warm garlic bread.
- Make sure milk is at room temperature before adding in the sauce.
- Continuously stir the sauce till it starts thickening to avoid any lump formation.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt accordingly.
- You can add a pinch of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder as well in sauce for taste.