Stir Fry Pasta With Vegetables is a quick and easy pasta recipe. It is probably one of the most delicious ways to enjoy pasta with seasonal vegetables. It is tasty, healthy-ish, and vegan.
This vegan vegetable pasta is light, colourful, and super easy to prepare.
No need to spend hours in the kitchen. With minimal cooking time, one enjoys a wholesome pasta meal with vegetables.
It is one of those pasta recipes that you would surely like to bookmark for a potluck, picnic, or a quick weeknight dinner.
I am a big fan of stir-fry dishes such as vegan tofu stir fry or this vegetable pasta. Something is comforting about a good stir-fry. It adds so much variety to the meal.
The Choice of Pasta
Which kind of pasta is perfect for stir-frying? I prefer using bite-size, easy-to-stir pasta for this recipe.
My favorite ones are – penne, macaroni, fusili, farfalle, shell or Conchiglie pasta.
You can pick any bite-size, hand-made pasta variety for tossing with vegetables. The stir-fry pasta is all about the simplicity of ingredients.
Tips To Keep It Skinny
First and foremost, replace the regular pasta with whole wheat or durum wheat semolina pasta.
Avoid using butter to prepare the pasta. Instead, a tablespoon or two of olive oil is good enough to make the entire stir-fry.
Overcooked vegetables would kill the dish’s taste, texture, and nutrients. So it’s best to stir-fry them quickly until they are al dente and have a crunch.
Fresh herbs like basil and parsley make pasta rich in anti-oxidants and many other health benefits. So don’t hesitate to garnish your pasta with plenty of spices.
Last but not least, give the cheese a miss. I know it is hard to resist the temptation of grating cheese over pasta. But to keep it healthy, it is best to skip adding cheese to this pasta with vegetables.
Step-By-Step Cooking Method
Cook Pasta: Boil water in a large saucepan with a teaspoon of salt. Once the water starts bubbling and boiling, add the uncooked pasta, stir, and cook until al dente. Transfer the cooked pasta to a colander. Drain the water.
Stir Fry Vegetables: Heat olive oil in a stir-fry pan. Add the chopped garlic and chilli flakes. Cook for 10 – 20 seconds to infuse the flavour of garlic and chilli into the oil.
Add onion, and stir fry over high heat for 10 – 20 seconds. Next, add the vegetables and salt, and stir-fry them till they are tender but not overcooked or soft.
Assemble: Now add the boiled pasta and Italian herbs. Stir to combine. Stir fry for a minute. Turn off the heat.
This pasta with vegetables is a highly customizable dish.
Non-Vegetarian: On busy weeknights or for quick working lunch, I serve it with grilled chicken/shrimps/squids/scallops/tuna/bacon (add either of these meats or seafood to the stir-fry).
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free pasta to make delicious stir-fried pasta without gluten.
Kid-Friendly: If you are making this dish for the kids, skipping the red chilli flakes will be great. Otherwise, this pasta recipe is good for the school lunch boxes.
More Pasta Recipes
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Stir Fry Pasta With Vegetables
- 250 gram dry shell pasta (Conchiglie)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes or to taste
- ½ Cup finely chopped onion
- ½ Cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ Cup diced yellow bell pepper
- ½ Cup diced zucchini
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, sage etc)
- ¼ Cup fresh Italian basil leaves or parsley
- Boil water in a large saucepan with a teaspoon of salt. Once the water starts bubbling and boiling, add the uncooked pasta, stir and cook the pasta till al dente. Transfer the cooked pasta to a colander. Drain the water.
- Heat olive oil in a stir-fry pan. Add the chopped garlic, chili flakes, cook for 10 – 20 seconds to infuse the flavor of garlic and chili into the oil.
- Add onion, and stir fry over high heat for the next 10 – 20 seconds. No need to brown the onion.
- Next, add the vegetables, salt, and stir-fry them till they are tender but not overcooked or soft. Vegetables should have a crunch to them.
- Now add the boiled pasta, Italian herbs, and stir to combine. Stir fry for a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil leaves.
- Serve Stir Fry Pasta With Vegetables immediately.
- Vegetables and pasta both need to be al dente for this recipe.
- Overcooked/soft/mushy vegetables would kill the taste and texture of the stir-fry.
- If you are using frozen vegetables, make sure to thaw them before adding them to the stir fry.
- To jazz up the flavors I add loads of garlic and red chili flakes for that extra little bit of heat. Adjust the seasoning according to personal taste preference.
- If basil is not available, you can add parsley.
- You can use fresh or dry Italian herbs for this pasta recipe.
Kelly Powers says
Love this simple variation on pasta primavera! It’s a staple in my house since it can be adjusted based on whats in season (or what I have at home).
Hina Gujral says
I am so happy to know that you like this pasta recipe. Thank you so much for your feedback!