Spaghetti Alio e Olio (Spaghetti with Garlic & Oil)
Somebody rightly said this great Italian pasta recipe is simple enough to whip up at the end of a big night out. The secret to the best Spaghetti Alio e Olio is in emulsifying the sauce. One of my favorite Italian dish Spaghetti Alio e Olio is the perfect example of how simple yet quality ingredients can make a difference to the flavor. During the summer, I simply avoid heavy sauces like Arabiatta, Pomodoro, Bolognese or Carbonara because all have a bold outburst of flavors which my delicate taste buds doesn’t crave these days. On the other hand, a light flavorful bowl of Spaghetti Alio Olio is always welcome. To keep healthy quotient in mind, I have replaced regular pasta with the whole-wheat version so that I can enjoy alio olio without any guilt.
Though making Spaghetti Alio
requires very basic few ingredients but it is the quality of ingredients which does magic and convert bland pasta into flavorful dish. For the Alio Olio
, I always peel garlic from the scratch, pluck fresh red chili and parsley from my kitchen garden and most importantly use best quality olive oil, especially not extra virgin olive oil that is strictly not for cooking. Some cooks believe adding too much of garlic and lugs of olive oil will make Alio Olio
tastier which a big fat myth. Finely cut few cloves of garlic and chili along with limited amount of supreme quality olive is enough to make a wholesome dish. And yea I like Alio Olio with vegetables to have a balanced meal but that part can be skipped if you like your pasta without much add – on.
Spaghetti Alio e Olio
- 400g spaghetti
- 2 tbsp + 50 ml olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 small red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ Cup roughly chopped parsley
- ¼ Cup black olives, cut into halves
- ¼ Cup vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, as per taste
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- broccoli, haricot beans can also be used
- freshly grated parmesan, to serve
- Boil the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions until al dente.
- Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and set aside until required.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic and chilli. When the garlic turns golden brown, add the vegetables and saute for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add hot stock water to glaze the pan and stop vegetables from cooking. Switch off the gas.
- Add the pasta, olives, 50ml olive oil, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Keep tossing the pasta. The pasta liquid and oil will emulsify, thickening and coating the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan and some more parsley before serving. Enjoy with tossed bread.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!