Green Curry Soup is an Asian style vegan soup packed with fresh flavors, rice noodles, and coconut milk. It is a healthy, hearty, bowl of comfort soup done in one-pot. I think I have given you more than one reason to bookmark this vegan Thai green curry soup recipe.
I am always looking for soup recipes that are more like a one-bowl meal. This Thai green curry soup rainchecks all the criteria of a perfect one-pot meal.
While on a fridge cleaning mission I landed upon leftover Thai Green Curry Paste and a few vegetables. With these two in hand, it was not difficult to plan this delicious green curry soup.
Though I have made this soup to soothe my sore senses from the cold autumn breeze you can make it throughout the year. And I will not be surprised if it becomes your favorite weeknight dinners.
This is an easy and simple soup recipe. Here are the ingredients you need to make green curry soup from scratch at home:
Thai Green Curry Paste: It is a spicy, thick curry paste used in Thai Cuisine. You can make it at home or pick a bottle from the supermarket.
Rice Noodles: I like to use delicate rice vermicelli noodles for this curry soup. You can add any variety of gluten-free noodles or pasta to this soup.
Coconut Milk: It gives a rich, and creamy flavor to the soup.
Vegetable Stock: Instead of plain water use stock to flavor the soup. Or use 1 stock cube dissolved in lukewarm water.
Vegetables: I add mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, kale, bok choy, sweet potato, cherry tomato to my green curry soup. It is actually the best soup to use all the leftover vegetables from the fridge.
Brown Sugar: It balances the heat of the curry paste and gives a sweet, caramelized taste to the soup.
Other Ingredients: Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Salt
This green curry soup is all about toppings. And they are the highlight of this soup recipe for me.
A few of my favorite topping ideas for this Thai curry soup are:
Mung Bean Sprouts
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Chopped spring onion
Tofu Green Curry Soup: Crispy fried tofu or the soft cubes of tofu dunked in curry soup taste divine.
Seafood Green Curry Soup: From shrimps, prawns, to squid or shredded crab meat, it all taste so good in this spicy curry soup.
Red Or Yellow Curry Soup: In place of green curry paste, you can use Thai Red Curry or Yellow Curry Paste to make this soup.
Chicken Curry Soup: Feel free to add shredded rotisserie chicken into this curry soup along with noodles.
As I said earlier in this post, this curry is a wholesome, fulfilling meal in itself.
More Soup Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Thai Green Curry Soup Recipe
Ingredients For Topping:
- 1 tablespoon spring onion greens
- 1 tablespoon crushed peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 Cup fresh basil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the vegetables (broccoli, mushroom) and stir fry them over high heat for 3 – 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the garlic, ginger, and green curry paste. Saute the curry paste for 1 – 2 minutes to combine it evenly with the oil.
- Add the coconut milk, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Stir until the curry paste is nicely dissolved. Next, add the vegetable stock, salt, and stir to combine. Taste and add more coconut milk for a milder taste or green chilies to make it spicy.
- Add the vermicelli noodles. Simmer the soup till noodles are cooked. This takes 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Once noodles are cooked, add stir fry vegetables and give the soup a good stir. At this stage, if the soup seems too thick add more vegetable stock to get the desired consistency, simmer, and turn off the heat.
- Just before serving garnish soup with fresh herbs, crushed peanuts, and juice of lemon.
- Serve Thai Green Curry Soup warm.