Green Curry Soup is a vegan soup packed with refreshing Thai curry flavours, rice noodles, and coconut milk. It is a hearty bowl of comfort soup done in one pot. I think I have given you more than one reason to bookmark this vegan green curry soup recipe.
I am always looking for soup recipes more like a one-bowl meal. This Thai green curry soup rainchecks all the criteria of a perfect one-pot meal.
With some leftover Thai green curry paste, vegetables, and coconut milk sitting in the fridge, this soup gets ready in less than 30 minutes.
From sore throats to dull days, there is nothing this curry soup can’t help you fix.
Here are some more reasons to LOVE it
- vegan and gluten-free
- an easy, one-pot meal
- delicious to the core
- instant pot-friendly
Green Curry Paste is a spicy, thick curry paste used in Thai Cuisine. You can make it at home or pick a bottle from the supermarket. I use a ready-made one and spruce it up with my little hack.
Rice Noodles: I use Pad Thai Noodles or flat rice noodles sticks. You can add any variety of gluten-free noodles or pasta to this soup.
Greens: Thai Basil, Fresh Cilantro (stalks and leaves), Bok Choy
Coconut Milk: It gives a rich and creamy flavour to the soup.
Stock: Instead of plain water, use stock to flavour the soup. Or use 1 bouillon cube dissolved in lukewarm water.
Vegetables: Add mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, kale, bok choy, sweet potato, and cherry tomato to green curry soup. It is the best soup to use all the leftover vegetables from the fridge.
Brown Sugar: It balances the curry paste’s heat and gives the soup a sweet, caramelized taste.
Other Ingredients: Garlic, Ginger, Vegan Fish Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Salt
This green curry soup is all about toppings. And they are the highlight of this soup recipe for me.
A few of my favourite topping ideas for this Thai curry soup are:
Mung Bean Sprouts
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Chopped spring onion
My Secret Hack
To spruce up the flavour of store-bought green curry paste, I blend cilantro stalks, basil leaves, green chilli, coconut milk, and curry paste. This addition of fresh ingredients takes the flavour of packaged green curry paste up a notch.
This hack of mine amps up the green colour of the soup, giving a great depth of flavour and a refreshing, tantalizing aroma.
Suppose you have good quality homemade Thai green curry paste, then nothing like it. But for busy weeknights, the hack of sprucing up the packaged green curry paste with the addition of fresh ingredients works fine.
How To Make
This green curry is one of the easiest soup recipes. You can cook it on the stovetop saucepot or the SAUTE mode of instant pot, like the way I do.
Step 1) Combine Thai green curry paste, chilli, cilantro stalks, basil leaves, coconut milk, and water. Blend to a paste.
Step 2) Set the SAUTE mode of the instant pot for 15 minutes. Add sesame oil to the inner pot. Once the oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and onion. Saute for 1 minute.
Step 3) Add sliced mushroom. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Next, add the green curry paste. Mix nicely.
Step 4) Add vegetable stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and salt, and stir to mix. Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 5) Add the rice noodles. Simmer the soup till the noodles are cooked. This takes less than 5 minutes.
Once the noodles are cooked, add coconut milk, bok choy, cilantro, basil, and red chilli. Mix and simmer the soup for 1 – 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Tofu Green Curry Soup: Crispy fried tofu or the soft cubes of tofu dunked in curry soup taste divine.
Seafood Green Curry Soup: From shrimp, and prawns, to squid or shredded crab meat, it all tastes good in this spicy curry soup.
Red Or Yellow Curry Soup: In place of green curry paste, you can use Thai Red Curry or Yellow Curry Paste to make this soup.
Chicken Curry Soup: Feel free to add shredded rotisserie chicken to this curry soup and noodles.
As I said, this curry soup is a wholesome, fulfilling meal.
For an Asian-style family dinner, you can serve green curry noodle soup with – vegan tofu stir fry, smashed cucumber salad, or crispy noodle salad.
More Soup Recipes
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Thai Green Curry Soup Recipe
For Green Paste
Ingredients For Soup
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil or cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- ½ Cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup white mushroom, sliced
- 4 Cup (500 ml approx) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon vegan fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 200 gram rice noodles or sticks
- ¼ Cup thick coconut milk
- 5 – 6 bok choy leaves, roughly chopped
Ingredients For Topping
- cilantro, chopped
- fresh basil leaves
- red chili, chopped
- lime juice
- Combine Thai green curry paste, chili, cilantro stalks, basil leaves, coconut milk, and water, Blend to a paste. Do not blend for too long as the heat from the blender often turns green pastes into a black and bitter mess. Transfer the green paste to a bowl and set it aside.
- Set the SAUTE mode of the instant pot for 15 minutes. Add sesame oil to the inner pot. Once the oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and onion. Saute for 1 minute. No need to brown the aromatics.
- Add sliced mushroom. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes or till mushroom become light golden in color.
- Next, add the green curry paste. Mix nicely.
- Add vegetable stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, salt, and stir to mix. Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles. Simmer the soup till noodles are cooked. This takes less than 5 minutes.
- Once noodles are cooked, add coconut milk, bok choy, cilantro, basil, and red chili. Mix and simmer the soup for 1 – 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- At this stage, if the soup seems too thick add more vegetable stock to get the desired consistency, simmer, and turn off the heat.
- Just before serving garnish soup with fresh herbs, crushed peanuts, and juice of lime.
- Serve Thai Green Curry Soup warm.
Buy Contact Lenses says
It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.
This looks amazing! I’ll be trying it with courgetti for a low carb version.
Hina Gujral says
That would taste amazing tooo 🙂
Siddharth Opticals says
Thank you for sharing your valuable information. It is very useful for us
Trendy Women Fashion says
I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.
Rou Hubbucks says
OH MY GOD this is the nicest meal, I can’t stop making this, it’s absolutely beautiful. Perfect, no notes on the recipe, if you’re considering making this then do, we just became vegan and this was one of the first things I made that was deliberately vegan, absolutely AMAZING
Hina Gujral says
thank you so much for such valuable feedback. You made my day!