Green Curry Soup is a vegan soup packed with refreshing Thai curry flavors, rice noodles, and coconut milk. It is a hearty, bowl of comfort soup done in one pot. I think I have given you more than one reason to bookmark this vegan green curry soup recipe.
I am always looking for soup recipes that are more like a one-bowl meal. This Thai green curry soup rainchecks all the criteria of a perfect one-pot meal.
With some leftover Thai green curry paste, vegetables, and coconut milk sitting in the fridge this soup gets ready in less than 30 minutes.
From sore throats to dull days there is nothing this curry soup can’t help you fix.
Here are some more reasons to LOVE it:
vegan and gluten-free
an easy, one-pot meal
delicious to the core
This is an easy and simple soup recipe. Here are the ingredients you need to make it:
Thai Green Curry Paste: It is a spicy, thick curry paste used in Thai Cuisine. You can make it at home or pick a bottle from the supermarket. I use a ready-made one and spruce it up with my little hack.
Rice Noodles: I like to use rice vermicelli noodles or sticks for this curry soup. You can add any variety of gluten-free noodles or pasta to this soup.
Greens: Thai Basil, Fresh Cilantro (stalks and leaves), Bok Choy
Coconut Milk: It gives a rich, and creamy flavor to the soup.
Stock: Instead of plain water use stock to flavor the soup. Or use 1 bouillon cube dissolved in lukewarm water.
Vegetables: You can add mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, kale, bok choy, sweet potato, cherry tomato to green curry soup. It is actually the best soup to use all the leftover vegetables from the fridge.
Brown Sugar: It balances the heat of the curry paste and gives a sweet, caramelized taste to the soup.
Other Ingredients: Garlic, Ginger, Vegan Fish Sauce, Rice Vinegar Sesame Oil, Salt
This green curry soup is all about toppings. And they are the highlight of this soup recipe for me.
A few of my favorite topping ideas for this Thai curry soup are:
Mung Bean Sprouts
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Chopped spring onion
My Secret Hack
To spruce up the flavor of store-bought green curry paste I blend cilantro stalks, basil leaves, green chili, coconut milk, and the curry paste. This addition of fresh ingredients takes the flavor of packaged green curry paste up a notch.
This hack of mine amp up the green color of the soup, gives a great depth of flavor, and a refreshing, tantalizing aroma to the soup.
If you have good quality homemade Thai green curry paste then nothing like it. But for busy weeknights, the hack of sprucing up the packaged green curry paste with the addition of fresh ingredients works absolutely fine.
This green curry is one of the easiest soup recipes. You can cook it on the stovetop saucepot or on the SAUTE mode of instant pot, like the way I do.
Step 1) Combine Thai green curry paste, chili, cilantro stalks, basil leaves, coconut milk, and water, Blend to a paste.
Step 2) Set the SAUTE mode of the instant pot for 15 minutes. Add sesame oil to the inner pot. Once the oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and onion. Saute for 1 minute.
Step 3) Add sliced mushroom. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Next, add the green curry paste. Mix nicely.
Step 4) Add vegetable stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, salt, and stir to mix. Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 5) Add the rice noodles. Simmer the soup till noodles are cooked. This takes less than 5 minutes.
Once noodles are cooked, add coconut milk, bok choy, cilantro, basil, and red chili. Mix and simmer the soup for 1 – 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Tofu Green Curry Soup: Crispy fried tofu or the soft cubes of tofu dunked in curry soup taste divine.
Seafood Green Curry Soup: From shrimps, prawns, to squid or shredded crab meat, it all taste so good in this spicy curry soup.
Red Or Yellow Curry Soup: In place of green curry paste, you can use Thai Red Curry or Yellow Curry Paste to make this soup.
Chicken Curry Soup: Feel free to add shredded rotisserie chicken into this curry soup along with noodles.
As I said earlier in this post, this curry soup is a wholesome, fulfilling meal in itself.
More Soup Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Thai Green Curry Soup Recipe
For Green Paste
Ingredients For Soup
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil or cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- ½ Cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup white mushroom, sliced
- 4 Cup (500 ml approx) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon vegan fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 200 gram rice noodles or sticks
- ¼ Cup thick coconut milk
- 5 – 6 bok choy leaves, roughly chopped
Ingredients For Topping
- cilantro, chopped
- fresh basil leaves
- red chili, chopped
- lime juice
- Combine Thai green curry paste, chili, cilantro stalks, basil leaves, coconut milk, and water, Blend to a paste. Do not blend for too long as the heat from the blender often turns green pastes into a black and bitter mess. Transfer the green paste to a bowl and set it aside.
- Set the SAUTE mode of the instant pot for 15 minutes. Add sesame oil to the inner pot. Once the oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and onion. Saute for 1 minute. No need to brown the aromatics.
- Add sliced mushroom. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes or till mushroom become light golden in color.
- Next, add the green curry paste. Mix nicely.
- Add vegetable stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, salt, and stir to mix. Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles. Simmer the soup till noodles are cooked. This takes less than 5 minutes.
- Once noodles are cooked, add coconut milk, bok choy, cilantro, basil, and red chili. Mix and simmer the soup for 1 – 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- At this stage, if the soup seems too thick add more vegetable stock to get the desired consistency, simmer, and turn off the heat.
- Just before serving garnish soup with fresh herbs, crushed peanuts, and juice of lime.
- Serve Thai Green Curry Soup warm.