Have you ever tried making chaat using bread? If not yet, then try this bread basket chaat. This chaat recipe will definitely fill your thoughts with a dozen creative ideas to use these bread baskets. It is one of the fun and creative ways to enjoy aloo chaat.
These bread baskets are so easy to prepare, doesn’t require any oil and look extremely fancy.
Next time if you are hosting a party, serve chaat in these bread baskets. The guests would surely get impressed with your culinary skills.
Apart from serving Chaat, you can serve creamy salads, eggs, or desserts in these baskets. Like, once for a Christmas party I served Chicken Cranberry Salad in these bread cups. Oh my god, it was such a big hit.
The excellent part about this bread basket chaat is you can make the bread cups and the Chaat well in advance. Bread cups remain absolutely crisp for 2 – 3 days at room temperature.
Grab some leftovers from the fridge, fill it in bread cups and you have a delicious snack ready in no time.
Take this snack to your next potluck, picnic or make this for the evening snacks – it’s always going to be a hit! And trust me, it is one of the coolest and easiest Chaat Recipe I have ever tried.
I hope you find this one worth bookmarking.
Ingredients For Aloo Chaat Stuffing:
You can pick any combination of ingredients to stuff inside the bread basket and make them more delicious. I have stick to a simple and popular aloo chaat stuffing for my bread basket.
White Peas: Boiled Dried Pea or safed matar. You can use boiled chickpeas (chana) as well.
Potato: Boiled potatoes peeled and diced.
Onion: It is optional to add onion in this aloo chaat. You can add diced cucumber, tomato, or green chili as well.
Curd or Yogurt: Whisk curd so that it is smooth and lump free with a dropping consistency. Make sure curd is not sour in taste.
Sweet Chutney: This is a sweet tamarind chutney commonly added in Indian chaat. If sweet chutney is not available, add a teaspoon or two of sugar in the curd while whisking.
Mint Chutney: The green chutney made of mint and coriander add freshness to the aloo chaat.
Salt & Spices: A few basic Indian spices – Chaat Masala, Cumin Powder, and Red Chilli Powder are required.
Extras: A few extra toppings like sev, aloo bhujia, or pomegranate not only make aloo chaat delicious but make it look exquisite.
Tips To Make Perfect Bread Basket:
Try to use freshest bread slices for making the bread baskets. The stale bread slices start crumbling while rolling.
To keep the bread moist it is best to cover them with a wet muslin/clean cloth for 5 – 10 minutes after rolling out.
While rolling the bread slices, try to press them and reduce the thickness. So that it becomes easy to adjust the bread in a muffin mold.
You can brush the bread slices with a tablespoon of melted butter or ghee to get a nice brown crust and taste.
Watch Bread Basket Chaat Recipe Video:
More Indian Snack Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Bread Basket Chaat Recipe
Ingredients For Bread Basket:
- 6 slices bread
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil or ghee
Ingredients For Aloo Chaat Stuffing:
- 1 Cup boiled potato, peeled and diced
- 1 Cup boiled white peas (safed matar)
- ¼ Cup chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ Cup pomegranate (anar)
- ¼ Cup curd or yogurt
- ¼ Cup mint chutney see recipe
- ¼ Cup sweet chutney
- ¼ Cup sev bhujia (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
Make Bread Basket:
- Remove the crust from the bread slices. Place a single slice of bread on a clean, dry surface and press them thinly using a rolling pin. The idea is to reduce the thickness of bread slices and make them easy to shape. (refer recipe video)
- Make half inch cuts on all four sides of the bread. Brush bread slices with oil on both sides.
- Arrange the bread slices into the muffin molds like a cup. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (400°f) for 15 minutes in the middle rack or till the bread is crisp.
- Unmold the bread baskets and allow them to cool at room temperature. Set aside.
Make Aloo Chaat Stuffing:
- Combine boiled peas, potato, onion, salt, spices, and pomegranate in a bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Make it spicier using green chili if you prefer.
Assemble Bread Basket Chaat:
- Fill each bread basket with a tablespoon of aloo chaat stuffing. Top the aloo chaat with a tablespoon of curd, one teaspoon each of sweet and mint chutney. Sprinkle sev and fresh coriander.
- Serve Bread Basket Chaat immediately.
- You can store baked bread baskets for 2 – 3 days at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Use fresh and moist bread slices for making the bread baskets.
- You can brush the bread slices with a tablespoon of melted butter or ghee to get a nice brown crust and taste.
- Store aloo chaat stuffing for 2 – 3 days in the refrigerator.
- For chaat, whisk yogurt nicely to get smooth, lump free consistency.
- If sweet chutney is not available, add a tablespoon of sugar in the curd while whisking to get a sweet taste.
- After filling, serve bread basket chaat immediately else it will turn soggy after a few minutes.