Oats Khichdi is an Indian-style oats porridge packed with vegetables and yellow moong dal. It’s a fabulous vegetarian one-pot meal cooked in a pressure cooker. Oats Khichdi is a wholesome recipe that replaces rice with oats, has lots of veggies for nutrition, and moong dal for protein.
After a long, hard day at work, there’s nothing like relaxing on your favorite couch at home with a big generous serving of warm khichdi, pickle, and some ghee drizzled on top. That’s healthy comfort food at its best.
There are different methods of making Khichdi in India (perhaps that’s why it’s been declared our national dish). Starting with the way it’s spelled – Khichdi, khichri, or khichuri, to the texture of the khichdi, there are so many variations.
Reasons To LOVE Oats Khichdi:
easy one-pot meal
vegan and vegetarian
perfect for toddlers and kids
packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins
Vegetables You Can Add
Anything you fancy – carrots, beans, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peas are some great options.
In fact, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, fenugreek taste fantastic in this savory oats porridge.
Is it necessary to make oats khichdi in a pressure cooker?
The pressure cooker helps to get the perfect texture of the khichdi real fast. It also helps the lentils, oats, and vegetables cook evenly.
Using a pressure cooker simplifies the process and is highly recommended. Of course, you can use an instant pot, electric pressure cooker, or saucepan for the purpose.
Watch Healthy Oats Khichdi Recipe Video
More Healthy Recipes For You
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Oats Khichdi Recipe
- 2 Cup whole oats
- 1 Cup yellow moong dal (dhuli moong)
- 1/2 Cup fine chopped onion
- 1/4 Cup fine chopped tomato
- 1 Cup fine chopped spinach
- 1/4 Cup fine chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoom ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Wash and soak the dal in 2 cups of water.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Next, add the chopped onion and saute for 2 – 3 minute over medium flame.
- Add the soaked dal (not the water), tomato, carrot, spinach and stir to combine. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Now, add the oast, spices, salt and 6 cups of water. Stir to mix.
- Seal the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook khichdi over low heat for 2 – 3 whistles. Turn off the heat. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker.
- You can use an instant pot or an electric pressure cooker as well to make this khichdi. Cooking time may vary as per the equipment.
- I have used whole oats to make this khichdi. You can use rolled oats, instant oats, or steel-cut oats for this khichdi recipe.