Oats Khichdi is an Indian-style savory porridge packed with whole oats. vegetables and yellow moong dal. It’s a fabulous vegetarian one-pot meal cooked in a pressure cooker. Be sure to watch the video!
After a long, hard day at work, there’s nothing like relaxing on the couch at home with a big generous serving of warm khichdi, pickle, and a tablespoon of ghee drizzled on top. That’s healthy comfort food at its best.
There are different methods of making Khichdi in India (perhaps that’s why it’s been declared our national dish). Starting with the way it’s spelled – Khichdi, khichri, or khichuri, to the texture of the khichdi, there are many variations.
Unlike the traditional dal khichdi, rice is replaced with oats in this khichdi recipe to up the nutritional value of the dish and reduce the calorie count.
Here are some more Reasons To LOVE Oats Khichdi
easy one-pot meal
instant pot friendly
vegan and vegetarian
perfect for toddlers and kids
packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins
Vegetables You Can Add
Anything you fancy – carrots, beans, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peas are some great options.
In fact, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, fenugreek taste fantastic in this savory oats porridge.
Is it necessary to make oats khichdi in a pressure cooker?
The pressure cooker helps to get the perfect texture of the khichdi real fast. It also helps the lentils, oats, and vegetables cook evenly.
Using a pressure cooker simplifies the process and is highly recommended. Of course, you can use an instant pot or an electric pressure cooker for the purpose.
Serve oats khichdi as a wholesome meal along with a cooling mint pomegranate raita or refreshing green boondi raita. If you like spices, serve khichdi with a delicious seasonal pickle or mint chutney.
Watch Oats Khichdi Video
More Khichdi Recipes For You
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Healthy Oats Khichdi Recipe
- 2 Cup whole oats
- 1 Cup yellow moong dal (dhuli moong)
- ½ Cup fine chopped onion
- ¼ Cup fine chopped tomato
- 1 Cup fine chopped spinach
- ¼ Cup fine chopped carrot
- 4 tablespoom ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 6 cup water
- Wash and soak the dal in 2 cups of water.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Next, add the chopped onion and saute for 2 – 3 minute over medium flame.
- Add the soaked dal (not the water), tomato, carrot, spinach and stir to combine. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Now, add the oast, spices, salt and 6 cups of water. Stir to mix.
- Seal the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook khichdi over low heat for 2 – 3 whistles. Turn off the heat. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker.
- You can use an instant pot or an electric pressure cooker as well to make this khichdi. Cooking time may vary as per the equipment.
- I have used whole oats to make this khichdi. You can use rolled oats, instant oats, or steel-cut oats for this khichdi recipe.