Who could have thought that the humble idli can be transformed into something so delicious such as this Chilli Idli? These Indo-Chinese snacks are an excellent companion for the evening cup of tea. If ever you are out of ideas to use the leftover idli from the breakfast, don’t worry just make chilli idli. I guarantee, everybody in the family would love you even more for giving idli this tasty transformation.
You might also like -> 10 Best Indo-Chinese Party Recipes
I love the idea of transforming leftovers into a delicious dish. Whether it is making biryani with leftover chicken, pizza with leftover naan or chilli idli with leftover idli I am hooked to such smart leftover meal ideas. I should probably confess that this idli fry recipe came about because we had plenty of rava idlis sitting in the fridge from the previous day breakfast. And what could be a better way to use them than making yummy idli manchurian.
That said, in true clean-out-the-fridge fashion, I want to point out that this chilli idli recipe is an extremely good leftover recycle exercise. So feel free to stir in any of your desired vegetables and sauces if you’d like, such as – capsicum, red bell pepper, baby corn, beans or mushroom.
What kind of idli is required for making chilli idli fry? Any variety would do. On many occasions, I have used the instant rava idli for the recipe and the end result was totally gratifying. There is no hard and fast rule. The plain rice idli is also a good choice for making chilli idli. These idli fry bites make an excellent starter for the Indo-Chinese party or you can enjoy them as a teatime snack. Either way, they taste only delicious.
Did I mention that in this idli manchurian recipe video I have used coriander instead of spring onion to garnish the dish? While shooting the video I realised there is no spring onion in my fridge, so switched to coriander for garnishing. But I must tell you the aroma of fresh coriander made this idli fry way more delectable and tempting. So in case if you are also running out of spring onion use fresh coriander or parsley or a combination of either of these herbs. After all, recipes are all about improvising and giving a personal touch.
Watch How To Make Chilli Idli Fry:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Chilli Idli Fry Recipe
- 5 - 6 rava (sooji) idli see recipe here
Ingredients To Fry Idli:
- 1/4 Cup corn flour (corn starch)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup cooking oil
Ingredients For Sauce:
- 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 large-size onion diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic fine chopped
- 2 green chillies sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spring onion greens chopped
- Cut each idli into bite size small pieces. Set aside
- In a bowl combine sliced idli, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Mix nicely to coat idli with flour.
- Heat oil to shall fry the idli in a frying pan.
- Shallow fry the idli pieces in small batches till they turn brown and crisp from all sides.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli. Fry for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Now add the diced onion and fry till the onion turn translucent or soft.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for a minute.
- Pour the sauce along with 1/4 cup water and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Next, add the fried idli into the sauce mixture and combine nicely. Turn off the heat. Garnish with spring onion greens.
- Serve Chilli Idli warm with your favorite chutney or sauce.
- I have used rava (sooji) idli for the recipe. The regular rice idli can also be used in this recipe.
- After adding fried idli in the sauce mix do not cook them for too long. Else, they will turn soggy. Just mix nicely, garnish and serve.
- Always taste and then add salt to the sauce mixture because it is added earlier also while coating idlis with cornstarch.