Crispy Corn is a crunchy, tasty vegetarian snack. Loaded with the Indian-Chinese fusion flavors these crispy corns are my favorite party snack. I thought I’d share with you my super delicious crispy corn recipe. Be sure to watch the video!
About Crispy Corn
The deep-fried, batter-coated corns became highly popular after a famous restaurant chain in India, called BBQ Nation started serving them for appetizers.
Ok, but before we get to this tasty crispy corn recipe, let’s talk for a second about how much I love it.
Few bites of this addictive snack are never good enough. I highly recommend making a big batch (as they disappear real fast).
Plus, they are really easy to make. All is required mixing of ingredients and deep-frying. So if you’re a corn fan, I’d say there’s pretty much no excuse for you not to try them.
BONUS: If you are looking for a vegan + vegetarian + tasty snack to feed the crowd then this crispy corn recipe is worth bookmarking.
Watch Crispy Corn Recipe Video
My Tried & Tested Tips
Corn: I use fresh corn for this crispy corn recipe. Hence, boiling is required to soften them. But if you are using frozen corn, thaw them at room temperature and mix directly with flour (no need of boiling).
Texture: Before coating corn with flour make sure they are not moist or wet. Dry them nicely using a clean kitchen towel.
Chilling: Keeping flour coated corns in the refrigerator for a few minutes make them extra crispy.
Deep-Frying: Crispy Corn are always deep-fried (not pan-fried or shallow fried). But at times, corn pop dangerously in hot oil while frying. Hence, maintain a safe distance from the pan, or lightly cover it with a lid/mesh if popping is too much.
Stir Frying: It is optional to stir fry crispy corn in Indian-Chinese fusion flavors. If you are stir-frying the crispy corn make sure to do it as fast as possible to avoid soggy corns.
Storage: I would not recommend storing the crispy corn. They turn soggy after a few hours at room temperature. It is best to consume them fresh and fast.
More Corn Recipes For You
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Crispy Corn Recipe
- 2 Cup sweet corn kernels (frozen/fresh)
- ¼ Cup + 2 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch)
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch)
- oil to deep-fry
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 medium-size onion, fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- Boil approximately 6 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Add sweet corn and cook for 5 minutes or till bit soft. Transfer to a metal colander. Drain all the water. Allow corn kernels to get dry and cool down a bit.
- In a mixing bowl, combine boiled corn, all-purpose flour, ¼ cup corn flour, salt, and pepper. Mix using your fingers.
- While mixing, gently squeeze corn kernels to remove excess liquid.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of corn flour and mix once again to coat corn kernels with flour. Keep in the fridge while the oil is preheated.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep-frying pan. Deep-fry the corn kernels in small batches until crisp and golden. Cover the pan with the lid while deep-frying if the corn starts popping.
- Once corn kernels turn crunchy, transfer to a sieve and not plate.
- Next, heat 2 tablespoon oil in a stir-fry pan. Add ginger, garlic, and finely chopped onion. Stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the fried corn, red chili flakes, salt, pepper, and coriander. Mix nicely. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with spring onion greens.
- Serve crispy corn immediately for the evening snack.
- Make sure that corn kernels are completely dry before combing with the flour mixture.
- Be cautious while frying the corn kernels. Stay away from the gas stove as they might pop. It is best to keep a lid nearby. If required, cover the pan with the lid.
- After deep frying, do not cook the corn kernels for a long time. Else, they will become soft.