Date Nut Bread is a quick date bread without yeast, packed with the goodness of walnuts. It is quite an old fashioned favorite that could be relished plain with coffee or garnished with a finger-licking good coffee glaze. Either way, date nut bread recipe is worth bookmarking.
In my coffee table, you will always find one or the other kind of baked goodies. As they are always add on to the breakfast menu and make evening teatime exciting.
Last week when I was rearranging my pantry, I found a box of dates pleading to be used. Hence, this delicious date nut bread happened in my kitchen. It is utterly simple to prepare quick bread that does not require any yeast and fermentation time.
Apart from their sweet taste, dates are known for their highly nutritious profile. They are high on fiber and an excellent antioxidant. Many believe that dates are a great source of energy, as well. So if you are yet not including dates in your diet, now you have enough reasons.
When it comes to cooking, I love dates because they are a natural sweetener. The best way to substitute dates for white sugar is to make date paste, as in this recipe. It is made by mixing dates with water in a blender.
Here are a few of my favorite date recipes:
Prep Work For Date Nut Bread:
Bring out eggs and butter 15 – 20 minutes before from the fridge so they are at room temperature.
Roughly chop 1 cup walnuts and set aside. Next, chop the dates. Don’t forget to remove the seeds from the dates before chopping.
Next, combine chopped dates with softened butter and boiling water. Mix nicely and set it aside till the mixture cools down a bit. Meanwhile, you can combine the dry ingredients.
Once the date and butter mixture cools down completely, add eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Blend these liquid ingredients in a food processor or a smoothie jar for 2 – 3 seconds.
Before preparing the loaf batter, preheat the oven and grease the loaf tin with butter or line with parchment paper.
Coffee Glaze For Date Nut Bread:
The coffee glaze is utterly simple to make and yet it is finger-licking good. Here are a few points to keep in mind for making the coffee glaze:
Use a good quality, strong instant coffee powder to make the glaze.
Do not add too much hot water while whisking the coffee and sugar. After whisking the coffee and sugar mixture should be silky smooth, creamy and pale brown in color.
Make sure the butter is slightly warm and melted while adding in the whisked coffee.
Once the glaze is ready, immediately pour it over the cake. Do not set it aside for too long otherwise, the butter will start solidifying especially in the cold regions.
Love Date Loaf? Also try, these easy loaf recipes:
For more such fun recipes in your life subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Date Nut Bread Recipe
- 2 Cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 Cup boiling water
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2/4 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 Cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 Cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 Cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
Ingredients For Coffee Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with butter and line the base with the parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 160-degree celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dates, butter and boiling water, let it stand until cool. Transfer this liquid mix to a food processor. Add egg, sugar, and vanilla. Pulse for 1 – 2 seconds. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix nicely.
- Once the date and water mixture reaches room temperature stir in beaten egg but make sure water is not hot else egg will get poached.
- Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Cut and fold the batter until no streaks of flour remain in the batter. Add chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix into the batter nicely.
- Pour loaf batter into the prepared tin. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the date nut bread on a wire rack.
Prepare Coffee Glaze:
- Combine hot water with coffee powder and powder sugar. Whisk nicely to make a smooth mixture. This might take 5 – 6 minutes with a wire whisk. You can use an electric blender as well for the purpose.
- Next, add melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk for 3 – 5 seconds to get a silky smooth glaze. If the glaze seems too thick, add a teaspoon or so of hot water.
- Pour the coffee glaze over the date loaf. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of the glaze.
- Cut the date loaf into slices and serve.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness in glaze as per your liking.
- Allow the date loaf to cool down a bit before pouring the coffee glaze.
- After glazing the cake, set it aside for 5 – 6 minutes before cutting into the slices.
- Glazing the date loaf is optional. It can be enjoyed without glaze as well.
- Recommended Equipment: Loaf Tin (buy it here), Mixing Bowl (buy it here), Measuring Cups and Spoons (buy it here)