Date Nut Bread is a moist, delicious quick bread without yeast. It is an old-fashioned teatime bake recipe. This eggless date nut bread recipe with a coffee glaze is worth bookmarking. Be sure to watch the video!
You will always find one or the other kind of teatime bake on my coffee table as they are the perfect company for my evening cup of coffee or tea.
Date Nut Bread is one of my favorite teatime bake recipes. It is utterly simple to prepare and has a deep, rich flavour of dates, walnut, cinnamon, and chocolate chips.
I have followed this date bread recipe for the past 4 years, and every time I try it, I fall in love with it again.
The key ingredient in this bread recipe is the dates. The sweet, dried, seedless, or pitted dates work best for making bread.
Apart from their sweet taste, dates are known for their highly nutritious profile. They are high in fibre and an excellent antioxidant.
Many believe that dates are a great source of energy, as well. So if you do not include dates in your diet, now you have enough sweet reasons.
Regarding cooking, I love dates because they are a natural sweetener.
The best way to substitute dates for white sugar is to make date paste, as in this recipe. It is made by mixing dates with water in a blender.
Here are a few of my favourite date recipes:
Prep Work For Date Nut Bread
Ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature before making the bread batter.
Roughly chop walnuts and set aside. Next, chop the dates. Don’t forget to remove the seeds from the dates before chopping.
Soak chopped dates in boiling water. Mix nicely and set it aside till the mixture cools down a bit. Meanwhile, you can combine the dry ingredients.
Before preparing the loaf batter, preheat the oven and grease the loaf tin with butter or line it with parchment paper.
The Coffee Glaze
This coffee glaze is simple to make, yet it is finger-licking good.
Here are a few points to keep in mind for making the coffee glaze:
- Use a good quality, strong instant coffee powder to make the glaze.
- Do not add too much hot water while whisking the coffee and sugar. After whisking the coffee and sugar, the decoction should be silky smooth, creamy and pale brown.
- Ensure the butter is slightly warm and melted while adding the whisked coffee.
- Once the glaze is ready, immediately pour it over the cake. Do not set it aside too long; otherwise, the butter will start solidifying, especially in cold regions.
Watch Date Nut Bread Video
You can store date nut bread at room temperature for 1 – 2 days.
For longer shelf life, storing the date bread in the refrigerator in an airtight container is best. It remains fresh for a week.
Before serving, reheat the bread slice in the microwave for 10 – 20 seconds.
More Eggless Baking Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Eggless Date Nut Bread Recipe
- 1 Cup (225 gram) dates, dried and seedless
- 1 Cup (240 ml) boiling water
- ⅓ Cup (73 gram approx) brown sugar
- ¼ Cup (60 Gram) curd or yogurt, unsweetened and thick
- 6 Tablespoon (85 gram) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 Cup (260 gram) all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon powder or chai masala (see recipe)
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup (75 gram) coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ Cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
Ingredients For Coffee Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with butter and line the base with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180-degree celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dates, and boiling water, soak for 20 – 30 minutes or until dates are softened and the water becomes lukewarm. Transfer this liquid mix to a food processor. Add curd, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Pulse for 1 – 2 seconds to make a smooth liquid. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix nicely.
- Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Cut and fold the batter until no streaks of flour remain in the batter. Add chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix into the batter nicely. Do not mix the batter for too long.
- Pour loaf batter into the greased loaf tin. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the date nut bread to a wire rack to cool down for 5 – 10 minutes.
Prepare Coffee Glaze:
- Combine hot water with coffee powder and sugar. Whisk nicely to make a smooth mixture. This might take 3 – 5 minutes. You can use electric milk frother as well for the purpose.
- Next, add melted butter. Whisk for 20 – 30 seconds to get a silky smooth glaze. If the glaze seems too thick, add a teaspoon or so of hot water.
- Pour the coffee glaze over the date loaf. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of the glaze.
- Cut the date nut bread into slices and serve.
- In my 52 liter OTG, the bread exactly takes 60 minutes in the middle rack. Please keep a check on the bread after 50 minutes.
- Adding chocolate chips and cinnamon powder to the batter is optional.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness in the glaze as per your liking.
- Allow the date loaf to cool down a bit before pouring the coffee glaze.
- After glazing the cake, set it aside for 10 – 15 minutes before cutting into the slices.
- Glazing the date loaf is optional. It can be enjoyed without glaze as well.