Every family has it’s own Chicken Curry Recipe. So does mine. It is rustic, spicy, flavorsome and insanely delicious. After all, it is a family recipe. This everyday chicken curry and the holiday, precisely Sunday have some old connection. The two are meant for each other. And in my opinion, one cannot be enjoyed without the other better half. Maybe because, a good Indian chicken curry is supposed to be enjoyed with tons of plain, steamed rice and an afternoon nap is a must follow ritual post that. So I guess Sunday is the perfect day of the week to enjoy this chicken curry and the nap. Hence, we often call this curry Sunday chicken curry.
We have done plenty of fancy chicken curries in the past – butter chicken, chicken chettinad, keema matar and we love them all. Once in every month, we like to repeat them in our weekly meal menu. But when it comes to all-time favorite then it has to be this simple – chicken curry. It is my ultimate definition of a comfort food at its best. There is no lead ingredient in this recipe still it has a distinct, satisfying persona. The kind of curry that will remind you of mom’s cooking and would hit the right nostalgic nerves in your mind.
Every Sunday we have this chicken curry situation. With fluffy basmati rice on the side, sliced onion, and plenty of soupy, spicy Indian chicken curry, our Sunday lunch is always a blissful experience. During summers, we have an addition of chilled raita bowl to this Sunday menu to cool off the heat of spices. Or a tall glass of masala buttermilk to settle all the spices.
This chicken curry recipe is quick, simple and a firm family favorite. Whether you like your curry on the mild side, or you like curry with a kick of spices, this quick and easy recipe never fails to please. And I think if you are a true curry lover then this recipe is worth bookmarking. Take my word for it!!
Here’s to the happy flavors of the chicken curry that makes our every Sunday so special.
If you too have any Sunday special meal story please do share with us in the comments below. We would love to hear that!!
Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 kilogram chicken pieces with bone
- 4 onion fine chopped + 2 onion
- 1 small-size tomato
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 - 3 green chilies
- 1 bay leaf tej patta
- 2 - 3 green cardamom hari elaichi
- 2 - 3 cloves laung
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala see recipe
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder dhaniya powder
- Wash the chicken pieces and pat them dry.
- Make paste of two onion and tomato in a mixer. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Once the oil starts fuming reduce the heat and the whole spices (bay leaf, cardamom and cloves). Fry till their aroma is released approximately few seconds.
- Next add the chopped onion. Fry it over low flame till golden in color.
- Once onion is done add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till it too turns golden.
- Now add the onion and tomato paste prepared earlier.
- Fry the masala over low heat till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. Stirring at regular intervals.
- Add spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Stir and fry for few seconds.
- Now its time to add the chicken pieces. Fry the chicken pieces for 5 - 6 minutes or till they turn pale while in color. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the chicken over low heat till the time when water starts oozing out of the chicken pieces.
- Now add the 2 Cups of water, green chili and garam masala to the curry.
- Allow the curry to simmer till it thicken a bit and the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve chicken curry with rice/chapati.