Chicken Korma is a rich, creamy, aromatic, mildly spicy Indian chicken curry. The best part of this chicken korma recipe is you do not require tons of spices to make it at home. My homemade, freezer-friendly korma curry paste is good enough to make restaurant-style korma masala.
About Korma Curry
Korma is a mildly spiced thick gravy widely popular in the Indian-subcontinent. It is a typical Mughlai style curry.
Unlike other Indian curries, korma has a subtle flavor of spices, cream or curd based gravy, and a rich aroma.
There is a profound flavor of cardamom, ginger, and the fried onion paste. Usually, turmeric and red chili are not used in a korma gravy.
Ever since I learned this chicken korma recipe there is no turning back. It compliments almost every Indian flatbread perfectly and always the show stopper of my dinner parties.
Homemade Korma Curry Paste
Did you know that only 6 ingredients (onion, green chili, ginger, garlic, ghee, and curd) are required to make korma curry paste?
This homemade korma masala will satisfy all your indulgent curry cravings that too without much hassle.
Apart from making chicken korma, this curry paste can be used for marinating meats or making vegetarian korma curry.
You can store this korma curry paste for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Homemade Curry Paste Video
My Tried & True Tips
Chicken: The best choice would be bone-in chicken pieces. The chicken bones lend a delicious flavor to the curry. You can use a combination of boneless chicken thigh, and the leg piece.
Marination: It is a key step in the chicken korma recipe. I prefer marinating the chicken for 6 – 8 hours or overnight. Rub the marinate nicely over the chicken and massage the chicken pieces for 5 – 10 minutes with the marinade.
Curry Paste: A good korma curry gets its texture, taste, and aroma from the fried onion korma masala. Hence, make the masala from scratch at home or use a good quality readymade korma paste.
Searing: Fry the marinated chicken pieces for 10 – 15 minutes or till they are pale white over low heat. Do not rush this process. It ensures that the chicken pieces are juicy.
Gravy: The chicken korma has a luscious, creamy gravy. Hence, do not add too much water. But, if you want to make korma extra saucy add water only towards the end once the chicken is almost cooked.
Step-By-Step Chicken Korma Recipe
Step 1) Marinade the chicken pieces in a thick curd, ginger-garlic paste, salt, and garam masala mixture for 5 – 6 hours.
Step 2) Follow my korma curry paste to make the masala from scratch at home.
You can marinate the chicken and prepare curry paste a day before making the chicken korma.
Step 3) Heat ghee in a heavy bottom casserole. Add the bay leaf and the crushed cardamom pods. Cook for a few seconds to release the aroma of spices.
Step 4) Now add the korma masala and the marinated chicken pieces along with the marinade. Fry over low heat till they turn pale white and tender. This usually takes 10 – 15 minutes.
Step 5) Season with salt, green chilies, and the garam masala.
Step 6) Cover and cook the chicken over low heat till the pieces are 80% cooked. To make little gravy add 1/2 Cup of water. Simmer uncovered till it thickens and the chicken is fully cooked. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
Garnish Chicken Korma with fresh coriander leaves.
Chicken Korma is best enjoyed with paratha, naan, or roomali/tandoori roti.
The creamy gravy compliments most of the Indian flatbread perfectly.
However, you can serve chicken korma with basmati rice, jeera rice, or turmeric rice as well.
More Indian Chicken Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Chicken Korma Recipe
- Heavy Bottom Kadhai
- 1 kilogram skinless, bone-in chicken pieces
Ingredients for marinade
- 1/2 Cup thick curd
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon garam-masala (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Clean, wash, and pat dry the chicken pieces. Prick the chicken pieces a few times with a fork.
- Combine curd, ginger-garlic paste, salt, and garam masala in a bowl. Mix nicely to make a smooth lump-free paste.
- Add chicken pieces to the marinade paste. Rub the chicken pieces with the marinade nicely. Keep the marinated chicken in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 5 – 6 hours.
- Prepare the korma curry paste following my recipe.
- To make chicken korma, heat ghee in a heavy bottom casserole. Add the bay leaf and the crushed cardamom pods. Cook for a few seconds to release the aroma of spices.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces, korma curry paste along with the marinade. Fry over low heat till they turn pale white and tender. This usually takes 10 – 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, green chillies, and the garam masala. Cover and cook the chicken over low heat till the pieces are tender.
- To make little gravy add 1/2 Cup of water. Simmer the curry uncovered over low heat till it thickens. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Garnish Chicken Korma with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Chicken Korma warm with naan or tandoori roti.
- Try to use the thick and fresh curd for marinating the chicken. Avoid curd with a sour flavor.
- Whisk the curd and other ingredients nicely before marinating the chicken.
- Water is always added towards the end of the process when the chicken pieces are almost cooked. After adding water do not cook the chicken pieces for too long.