This is a tropical-style pineapple salad recipe. The grilled pineapple and peppers combined with creamy avocado to create a bowl of colourful salad. I am in love with this gluten-free, vegan summer salad.
During the summer season, we survive on salads and smoothies. And probably, these two are the best ways to include tons of seasonal fruits in the summer diet.
I love fruits in my salad. The sweetness and juices of seasonal fruits such as mango, strawberry, and pineapple give any salad a refreshing punch. My creamy summer pasta salad with pineapple or the classic fruit salad are amazing recipes with fresh fruits.
More Reasons To LOVE Pineapple Salad
- easy to make
- vegan and nut free
- gluten and dairy free
- perfect for BBQ, picnic, or potluck
- does not require a complicated dressing
Salad vs Salsa
There is always a debate in my family about whether this is a pineapple salad or salsa. I call it pineapple salsa because I can scoop it with nachos. I find it very similar to mango salsa or tomato salsa.
My husband finds it closer to a salad. He says the diced fruits and vegetables are far from salsa and remind him of an excellent tropical salad.
Don’t forget to tell me in the comments section what you like to call it.
How To Grill Pineapple
There are a few straightforward ways to grill pineapple at home.
BBQ: Use electric or outdoor BBQ to grill pineapple slices and bell pepper for the salad.
Stovetop: You can roast pineapple on a cast iron skillet over the stovetop or on direct flame. I roast them on a direct stovetop flame. It gives a perfect smokey flavour and charred skin.
Air Fryer: You can grill pineapple in an air fryer, also. Spray the air fryer basket with oil. Arrange pineapple slices and bell pepper on the basket. Air Fryer at 180 degrees Celcius till charred.
Pineapple Salad Recipe Variations
You can customize this pineapple salad as per personal preference by adding the following ingredients:
- grilled shrimps
- sliced red onion
- fresh, diced mangoes
- stir-fry boneless chicken
- shredded salad leaves or herbs
Serve pineapple salad in a bowl, or if you want to try something fancy, scoop out the pineapple pulp, and serve the salad on it.
You can serve it:
as a salsa for nachos or any other fried snacks
side-dish for grilled chicken or meats
tucked inside the tacos or tortilla wraps
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Tropical Pineapple Salad Recipe
- 2 Cup pineapple slices
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 Cup diced ripe avocado
- 1 Cup diced cucumber
- 1 mildly spicy green chilli or jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro or coriander
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or brown sugar or stevia
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Salt to taste
- Wash the red bell pepper. Wipe it with a clean towel. Roast the bell pepper and pineapple slices over the direct gas flame/oven/grill till black charred marks appear on the skin of the pepper. Allow them to cool down a bit, and then dice them.
- Combine chopped pineapple, roasted bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, green chilli, and herbs in a salad bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Toss the salad gently in the dressing. Keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Sprinkle fresh herbs.
- Tropical Pineapple Salad is ready to serve.
- Use sweet and fully ripe pineapple to make the salad. You can use tinned or canned pineapple slices as well.
- If you use tinned pineapple, taste it and then add the honey to the salad.
- Discard the white seeds and pith of the green chilli before chopping it.
- Let the salad sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
- Please remember that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary according to the ingredients used.