If you are looking for a delicious way to eat apples, then try these breakfast apple muffins packed with oats. This is a quick one-bowl muffin recipe that requires only 30 minutes.
One-Bowl Apple Muffin:
You need one bowl to make super moist apple muffins at home. All you need to do is combine the ingredients in a bowl and voila batter is ready to bake.
The whole muffin making process takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
Apple Muffins are the kind of baked treats that always remind me of the morning freshness. There is something serene about starting the day with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and a home-baked muffin.
The light tartness of apple combined with the warmth of cinnamon and sweetness of the carrot creates music of delectable flavors.
If you love desserts with apple, try my – apple kheer. It’s love at first bite.
- All-purpose flour
- Apple – try to use sweet tasting apples
- Baking Powder & Soda
- Cinnamon Powder
- Eggs – make sure they are not cold
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil for baking
- Brown Sugar – stick to light brown sugar
- Vanilla Extract – always use good quality vanilla extract
Be adventurous – try these recipe variations:
Carrot – replace half the amount of grated apple with the carrot. And you have carrot loaf style muffins.
Applesauce: instead of grated apple, you can use 1 cup applesauce as well.
Fresh Berries – add fresh berries such as blueberry, raspberry, or strawberry (and later, use some of them to bake teatime strawberry cake) in the batter.
Streusel Topping – try streusel topping of muesli, rolled oats, diced apple, chocolate chips, or dried fruits to make your muffins even more delightful.
Oats Streusel Topping For Muffin:
The addition of oats gives a full breakfast feel to the muffins.
It is an utterly simple streusel topping that does not require any unique technique – combine oats with cold butter and brown sugar.
Mix to form a crumbly mixture, and the streusel topping is ready. You can keep it in the fridge while preparing the batter.
How To Make Vegan Apple Muffins?
Substitute eggs with 1 Cup applesauce or vegan yogurt in the batter. And you will end up with super-moist vegan muffins. For streusel topping, instead of butter use unsweetened almond or any other nut butter.
Secret Tips To Bake Not So Secret Muffins:
The batter is a little bit lumpy and on a thick side, but that’s the key to soft, moist muffins.
The pitfall with all muffin is in over mixing the batter and ending up with the tough muffins. So make sure you only mix the batter until the ingredients are well combined, moistened, and no streaks of flour remain.
Try to use apples with a sweet taste and less tartness like the golden delicious, Shimla apples, or honey crisp.
Always adjust the amount of sugar according to the sweetness of the apples.
Stick to brown sugar only as it helps in giving the required moistness to the muffins.
Lastly, do not leave the muffins in the oven for too long. Usually, apple muffins don’t take more than 20 minutes to bake.
Even after bringing out of the oven, the cooking process continues with the heat trapped inside. So check muffins with a toothpick and adjust the baking time accordingly.
More After School Snack Recipes:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Apple Muffin Recipe With Oats
- 1 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Grated Apple
- 2 Eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Ingredients For Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cold Butter
- Combine oats with cold, diced butter and brown sugar. Use your fingers to gently combine the ingredients. The streusel topping should be like a crumbly, chunky mixture. Keep it in the fridge while preparing the batter.
Prepare Muffin Batter
- Preheat oven at 180-degree celsius. Line muffin tray with paper liners. Grease paper liners with little oil or use a non-stick oil spray.
- To prepare apple muffins, in a mixing bowl combine eggs, olive oil, grated apple, vanilla, and sugar. Whisk for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Next, add flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon powder and combine using a spatula. Make sure no streaks of flour remain in the batter.
- Pour equal amount of batter in each muffin cup. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 with the batter.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of oats topping on each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Turn off the oven. Insert a toothpick inside the muffin and check for doneness. Transfer muffins over a wire rack to cool down a bit.
- Serve Apple Muffins warm or store in the fridge in an airtight container for 10 – 15 days.
- The batter is a little bit lumpy and on a thick side, but that’s the key to soft, moist apple muffins.
- Do not overmix the muffin batter. Mix the batter until the ingredients are well combined, moistened, and no streaks of flour remain.
- Try to use apples with little sweetness in them and less tartness like the golden delicious or honey crisp.
- Always adjust the amount of sugar according to the sweetness of the apples.
- Stick to brown sugar only as it helps in giving the required moistness to the muffins.
- Lastly, do not leave the muffins in the oven for too long. Usually, apple muffins don’t take more than 20 minutes to bake. So check muffins with a toothpick and adjust the baking time accordingly.