Mocha Muffins are a delicious, whole wheat coffee muffins. These muffins are loaded with the aroma and flavor of the coffee. Mocha Muffins are a perfect little bite to accompany the morning cup of tea or milk. If you are a serious coffee lover like me then you must try this whole wheat mocha muffin recipe.
It seems this scorching heat has taken a toll on my creative thoughts as well, feeling so uninspired and lazy to go to the kitchen and bake.
All I am interested in these days is fruity drinks, salads, and lots of frozen desserts.
Somehow, managed to inspire the coffee lover in me and baked these whole wheat muffins.
You can substitute whole-wheat flour with an equal amount of all-purpose flour. Or if you want the light texture of the muffins along with low calories than use 1-cup all-purpose flour with 3/4 cup of whole-wheat flour.
Tips To Make Perfect Mocha Muffins:
Once the batter is ready, give it a resting time of 5 – 10 minutes. This way if any gluten strands formed while mixing will get relaxed and the texture of the muffin will remain soft and fluffy.
Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature before preparing the batter. Else, cold ingredients straight from the fridge might affect the texture of the muffin.
Measure all the ingredients correctly. Baking is not at all about intuitions. We need to follow measurements strictly.
Last but not least, over baking a muffin is a serious crime (just joking). Usually, when I am baking muffins, I check it 5 minutes early then the suggested time in the recipe. And this trick always helps me to get the perfectly baked muffin.
More Muffin Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Whole Wheat Mocha Muffins
- 1 2/4 Cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk (see recipe notes)
- 1/2 Cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1/4 Cup brewed black coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix using a spatula and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk (see recipe notes), oil, black coffee, and vanilla essence using a hand mixer or wire whisk for 10 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix only until the ingredients are combined. (Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be hard)
- Preheat the oven at 190-degree Celcius and line muffin tray with paper liners. Spoon in an equal amount of batter into muffin cups, filling only up to ⅓ in each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips or dark chocolate on top of each muffin. Place in the oven and bake at 190-degree for about 18 -23 minutes (mine took exact 20 minutes).
- Transfer baked muffins to a wire rack and let it cool completely before storing or serving.
- Buttermilk: In 1/2 Cup lukewarm milk stir vinegar or lemon juice, let it sit at room temperature for 5 – 10 minutes. You will notice milk will cuddle. This is the buttermilk you require for the muffins.
- Brewed Coffee: You can use any brewed black coffee decoction without sugar for this muffin recipe. Else, steep 2 teaspoons of strong instant coffee powder in 1/4 Cup of warm water, mix nicely to dissolve the coffee granules and use the same instead of black coffee.
- Whole Wheat: Try to use a good quality whole wheat flours and don’t forget to sift the flour. I gave the batter 10 minutes resting time so that any gluten strands formed while mixing will get relaxed.
- Brown Sugar: You can either use granulated brown sugar or the powdered light brown sugar. One can use dark brown sugar as well.