Learn how to make 30-Minute Butter Chicken in a few simple steps.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for perfect tried and tested Indian food recipes.
This Butter Chicken Recipe has a simple ingredient list and does not require hours of preparation. Learn how to make restaurant-style butter chicken in a few simple steps.
- 500 gm chicken boneless
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup full fat cream
- 1 tsp Garam Masala see recipe here
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 - 4 medium-size ripe tomato
- 1 medium-size onion
- 1/4 Cup readymade tomato puree
- 1 green chili
- an inch piece of ginger
- Start with washing and cleaning the chicken. Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Marinade the chicken pieces with yogurt, a teaspoon of red chili powder and salt. Combine nicely.
- Keep the marinated chicken pieces in the fridge while you prepare the gravy paste.
- In a blender grind chopped tomato, onion, puree, green chili and ginger. Use little water to make a smooth paste.
- Now heat butter in a heavy bottom vessel ( buy it here ) over medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste and fry till the oil separates from the masala.
- While the masala is roasting grill the chicken pieces in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Add the grilled chicken pieces in the masala and stir to combine. Fry for 2 - 3 minutes or so.
- Add the cream, sugar, salt, a teaspoon of red chili powder and 1/4 Cup of water. Stir to mix.
- Cover and let the chicken cook in the creamy gravy.
- Open the lid after 5 minutes, add Garam Masala ( see recipe here ) and check chicken for doneness.
- If the chicken is almost done, remove the lid and cook the gravy over high heat to thicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and the gravy thickens butter chicken is ready to be served.
- Serve Butter Chicken warm garnished with a tablespoon of cream with Naan ( see recipe here ).
Recommended Equipment: Handi ( buy it here )