Spinach Corn Sandwich is a vegetarian grilled sandwich packed with the goodness of spinach, corn, and a creamy whole wheat white sauce. It is a family favorite sandwich recipe that easily fits into my weekly meal prep schedule too!
Reasons To LOVE Spinach Corn Sandwich
As a family, Spinach Corn Sandwich is one of our favorite breakfast or brunch recipe.
There is something comforting about the creamy sandwich filling stuffed between the grilled bread slices.
The gooey goodness of the homemade white sauce, the sweetness of corn, and the goodness of spinach complement each other perfectly.
best way to use leftover spinach & corn
perfect for the school lunchbox
purely vegetarian sandwich
meal-prep friendly filling
super creamy and crunchy
mayonnaise, cream & nut-free
The Creamy White Sauce
This is my multi-purpose whole wheat white sauce for everything. From white sauce pasta, creamy mushrooms, sandwich fillings to vegetable bake, I use it for all.
The USP of this white sauce is it does not have any cream, mayonnaise, eggs, or all-purpose flour.
The base of this creamy white sauce is 4 ingredients – wheat flour, milk, garlic, and olive oil.
BONUS: You can make this sauce while meal-prepping for the week and store it in the refrigerator. It remains good to use for 3 – 4 days.
Making a spinach corn sandwich is a two-step process.
1) Prepare Filling
2) Assemble & Grill Sandwich
Start with making the white sauce for the sandwich filling.
Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, onion, and saute for 10 – 20 seconds to release the aroma of garlic (image 1).
Next, add wheat flour. Saute over low heat for 1 – 2 minutes to release the aroma and roast the flour (image 3 & 4).
Pour the milk steadily with one hand and stir the flour mixture clockwise continuously to avoid any lump formation. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens (image 4).
Once the sauce thickens, bubbling season with salt, and pepper powder. Stir to combine.
Add chopped spinach, corn, grated cheese in the white sauce. Stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick, you can add more milk to get the desired consistency.
Simmer the vegetables in the white sauce for 1 – 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Spinach Corn Sandwich filling is ready!
You can customize spinach corn sandwich filling according to personal preference.
Greens: From kale, rocket leaves, Italian basil, shredded lettuce to any other green leafy vegetables of your choice, feel free to take your pick.
Vegetables: Apart from sweet corn, you can add diced bell peppers, tomato, green peas, capsicum, carrot in this sandwich filling.
Cheese: Use mozzarella, cheddar, monetary jack, or any other cheese you like grilled.
More Corn Recipes
- Corn Salsa
- Crispy Corn
- Sweet Corn Soup
- Corn Cheese Muffin
- Corn Paneer Cutlet
- Creamy Corn Soup
- Creamy Corn Dip
For more such fun recipes in your life subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Instagram and Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Spinach Corn Sandwich Recipe
- Sandwich Grill
Ingredients For Sandwich Filling:
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ¼ Cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 4 Cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 Cup chopped spinach
- ½ Cup sweet corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ Cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 8 sandwich bread slices
- 1 – 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
Prepare Sandwich Filling:
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, onion, and saute for 10 – 20 seconds to release the aroma of garlic.
- Next, add wheat flour. Saute over low heat for 1 – 2 minutes to release the aroma and roast the flour.
- Pour the milk steadily with one hand and stir the flour mixture clockwise continuously to avoid any lump formation. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, bubbling season with salt, and pepper powder. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add chopped spinach, corn, grated cheese in the white sauce. Stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick, you can add more milk to get the desired consistency. Simmer the vegetables in the white sauce for 1 – 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Spinach Corn Sandwich filling is ready!
- Take one bread slice, spread 1 – 2 tablespoons of creamy filling evenly on the bread slice. Put another bread slice on top. Brush the sandwich with melted butter or olive oil.
- Grill Spinach Corn Sandwich from both the sides till crisp in a sandwich maker, grill press, or on a stovetop grill pan.
- Serve Spinach Corn Sandwich warm!
- Continuously stir the sauce while adding milk till it starts thickening to avoid any lump formation.
- You can add a pinch of chili flakes, oregano, or any other seasoning of choice.
- If you are using frozen corn, make sure to thaw them before adding them to the sandwich filling.
- Make sure cheese is nicely dissolved and melted in the sandwich filling.
Shruthi Reddy says
This was absolutely deciduous!!!!
Hina Gujral says
Thank you so much!