Baked Vegetable in White Sauce Recipe is a medley of vegetables cooked in creamy white sauce. Baked Vegetable in White Sauce is an all-time continental classic. And probably one of the early few continental dishes I was introduced to by my mother. In other words, Baked Vegetable was the only continental dish she used to make for us. She got hold of the recipe from one of the magazine, neatly she clipped the recipe in her diary. Then started her expedition of experiments to perfect the Baked Vegetable Recipe. You must be surprised to know that Baked Vegetable was first continental dish she cooked and tasted, before that she had not even once tasted the continental flavors. It was solely based on her flavor intuitions she somehow learnt to get it right.
In those days her Baked Vegetable was never laced with fancy vegetables, it all used to be humble local produce – carrots, capsicum, peas, pumpkin and corn kernels. In her spaceship like round oven she would bake the dish. With curious little eyes we would hover around the oven like hungry goblins, waiting anxiously to dig into the Baked Vegetable. The thick crusty layer of processed cheese on top of Baked Vegetable would make a crunching sound in the mouth. Back the, such were the simple pleasures in life.
This Baked Vegetable Recipe is not exactly how my mother used to make it. Over the years I have made my additions and subtractions to the recipe, like regular béchamel sauce is been replaced with whole wheat white sauce. And off-course more of exotic vegetables and imported cheese is included. On the days when Baked Vegetable in White Sauce is in the dinner menu, we love to pair it with Rosemary Chicken Steak, Garlic Bread and a glass of good old red wine.
Here is the recipe of how to make Baked Vegetable in White Sauce:
Baked Vegetable in White Sauce Recipe
Baked Vegetable in White Sauce is a medley of vegetables cooked in creamy white sauce.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 medium size zucchini diced
- 1 small size broccoli florets separated
- 1 red bel pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 large size onion sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Cup grated mozzarella or parmesan cheese
Ingredients for the White Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium size onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- a pinch of nutmeg powder
- salt to taste
- To make whole wheat white sauce, whisk the milk, wheat flour, black pepper powder, and salt. Stir until there are no lumps. Next, heat a tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and saute for few minutes, until you smell the aromas coming through and the onions have softened.
- Pour the milk mixture into the onion mixture and keep stirring continuously to cook the sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens and has cooked through. Add the nutmeg powder and stir to combine.
- Cook the sauce on medium heat, so the sauce thickens gradually with no lumps. Once done, turn off the heat, check the salt and spice levels and keep aside.
- In a stir fry pan ( buy it here ), heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute till soft but not brown.
- Next add zucchini and saute for few seconds, followed by broccoli and bell peppers.
- Saute the vegetables till they are al dente but not fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat.
- Grease a large baking dish ( buy it here ) with olive oil. Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius.
- Now pour half of the white sauce over the cooked vegetables. Stir to evenly combine.
- Arrange the vegetables in the greased baking dish.
- Pour remaining white sauce over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the layer of white sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 30 minutes or till nice brown crusty layer of cheese is visible on top.
- Serve Baked Vegetable in White Sauce warm with toasted bread.
Love this? Pin it for Later!Follow @hinagujral on Pinterest!