Roasted Red Pepper Dip is a delicious, easy to make Mediterranean condiment also known as muhammara. Freshly roasted peppers are what makes this dip so special; so don’t substitute them with the canned ones. Serve roasted red pepper with crisply pita chips or any fried snack of your choice. Whatever you serve this colorful dip with, it is always a smashing hit and never a miss.
This roasted red pepper dip will perfectly complement your chips and crisps for the next house party. Anything from a breadstick to raw vegetables tastes good with a nice creamy delicious dip. At all my house parties, if there is one thing that is obvious on the menu is an assortment of dips. They are extremely easy to make and stand out as an awesome snack when served with the crispy finger food.
What is Muhammara (or Mouhammara)?
Muhammara or mouhammara is a fiery and spicy Mediterranean style dip. It is usually prepared with fresh or sun-dried peppers, toasted walnuts and has a coarse pesto-like consistency. Muhammara can be served with pita bread, grilled meats, lavash, falafel or any other fried food of your choice.
How To Make Roasted Red Pepper Dip (Muhammara)?
Roasting Pepper: Roasting pepper is an easy job, if you’ve never tried it yet then this is the perfect opportunity, once you taste them, you’ll wonder why you waited for so long. Roasting provides a very distinct flavor to the dip. The peppers can be roasted on a gas stove until the skin is charred (which I usually do) or you can roast them in the oven at 220 degrees Celcius for 30 – 40 minutes.
Toasting Walnuts: Dry roast the walnuts in a cast iron skillet for 3 – 5 minutes over low heat to release their nutty flavor and make the dip even more delicious.
Blending: Use a food processor to blend the ingredients of the dip and get a coarse texture. A not so smooth texture of the dip adds to it’s flavor profile and make it even more appealing to the taste buds.
Love Muhammara? Try these Mediterranean Recipes:
For more such fun recipes in your life subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip (Muhammara)
- 2 whole red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 slice firm white bread, torn into pieces (you can use vegan bread as well)
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon za'tar spice mix (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey
How To Roast Pepper:
- Heat a cast iron skillet over the gas stove. Brush it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Place the whole peppers on the pan and roast till skin is nicely charred from all the sides.
- Heat an oven at 220 degree Celcius and grill the peppers on a baking sheet for 30 minutes or till nicely roasted. You can roast them on a BBQ as well.
How To Make Muhammara:
- Dry roast the walnuts in the same cast iron skillet over low heat for 5 – 6 minutes. Keep stirring the walnut while roasting. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cut roasted pepper into large pieces. In a food processor with knife blade attached, blend all the ingredients to a coarse paste.
- Transfer roasted red pepper dip to a bowl. Garnish with walnuts and olive oil.
- Serve muhammara with pita bread or lavash.