This teatime Pumpkin Cake is loaded with the flavour and aroma of the Indian chai masala (spice tea blend). It is an easy, moist, delicious cake recipe for the pumpkin season. Be sure to watch the video!
There is a pleasant nip in the year, and the evening air is filled with cosiness.
What could be a better way to celebrate the season than a good, old-fashioned pumpkin cake and a cup of tea?
Chai Masala (Indian Spice Blend)
The Indian tea spice blend aka chai masala, is a combination of whole spices mainly used to flavour milk tea.
My homemade chai masala complements the flavour of the pumpkin perfectly like a match made in heaven. The earthiness of tea masala gives a delicious punch to the sweetness of the pumpkin.
Substitute Of Tea Masala: One can use pumpkin pie spice mix or garam masala powder in the same quantity.
Or you can mix half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and half a teaspoon of cardamom powder. That will give you a good taste too.
Best Edible Gift: Mini Pumpkin Cake
I have baked my pumpkin cake in mini loaf tins.
These mini pumpkin loaf cakes make a perfect edible gift for the holiday season. Everybody loves them to the core.
Prepare a handmade gift basket for your loved ones with teatime pumpkin cake, a bottle of homemade chai masala, a handwritten recipe card, and the holiday greeting.
I am sure this handcrafted gift basket will win you a lot of compliments!
It is an easy, fuss-free teatime cake recipe. Here are the ingredients you need:
Pumpkin Puree: Use homemade pumpkin puree or canned one. Don’t use the pumpkin pie filling for the purpose.
Flavorless Oil: Instead of butter, I have used olive oil. You can use any flavourless oil or melted butter in the same quantity.
Brown Sugar: It gives a caramelized taste to the cake. You can use white granulated sugar.
Chai Masala: Indian tea spice blend is the star flavor of this cake recipe. Use garam masala or pumpkin pie spice mix as a substitute.
Eggs: They provide structure and moisture to the pumpkin cake. Use ¼ cup instead of each egg for an eggless pumpkin cake.
Other Basic Ingredients: All-Purpose Flour (maida), Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt
Equipment: Mixing Bowl, Loaf Pan, Oven
How To Make
The process of making a pumpkin cake is a simple three-step process.
- Whisk: Combine pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Mix: Add dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, etc.) and fold into the liquid ingredients until combined.
- Bake: Pour the cake batter into the greased loaf tin. Bake pumpkin cake at 180 degrees Celcius for 40 – 45 minutes.
Watch Cake Video
The best way to store this chai-spiced pumpkin cake is in an airtight container or in a platter with a glass cloche for 1 – 2 days at room temperature.
If you want to store it for more than 2 days, then a refrigerator is best. Because of pumpkin puree, the cake has a short shelf life if left at room temperature.
More Easy Cake Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Chai Spiced Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- ¾ Cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ Cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon any flavorless oil (canola/olive oil)
- 1 ¼ Cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Chai Masala ( see recipe )
Ingredients for the glaze
- ⅓ Cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ Cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk, at room temperature
Prepare the Cake:
- Grease 7″ square tin with oil or you can use 3 mini loaf pan or a 9 inch tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, and oil until all combined well and creamy in texture. Do not whisk for too long after adding the eggs.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together including the chai spice in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid batter in two batches. Using spatula mix well to make a smooth batter.
- If the batter seems to be thick add 2 – 4 tablespoons of milk and combine well. Do not over mix the batter else result will be a tough cake.
- Preheat oven at 180 C. Add the batter in the prepared tin. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes. Once golden brown on the top and a tester come out clean, the cake is ready to come out of the oven.
- Let it cool down completely at room temperature over a wire rack before cutting into pieces.
Prepare the Glaze:
- For the glaze, mix all the ingredients with a wire whisk until it is of dropping consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and garnish with chopped pistachio and almonds.
- Serve Chai Spiced Pumpkin Cake for the teatime.