Mixed Vegetable Cutlet is an all-time favorite teatime snack. Whether it is monsoon downpour, crisp autumn afternoon, or social get together a plate full of the cutlet is always welcomed along with a cup of tea. A bowl of tomato ketchup and coriander chutney to dip the cutlet makes it a vegetarian snack recipe.
The tantalizing aroma of the frying cutlets sneaks out of the kitchen and lingers around the tea-table.
The tea laced with chai masala bubbling on the side stove sends an inviting gluttonous note to those who are wandering in the backyard yearning for evening snacks.
Have you tried our Chicken Cheese Balls Recipe? They are pretty amazing too!
Vegetable Cutlet Recipe Notes:
The cheat cook’s trick is, make the mixture for the Mixed Vegetable Cutlet, shape them into tiny cigars, dust with bread crumbs, and arrange neatly in an airtight container. You can freeze these veg cutlets for 15 – 20 days. Thaw them at room temperature before frying.
The best part about these vegetable cutlets is they can be customized. Feel free to pick your favorite vegetables to make these cutlets.
Use a food processor, to chop or pulse the vegetables for the cutlet. This really makes a difference in the texture of the cutlets.
Make sure vegetables are not wet or moist else the cutlet mixture will become water clogged.
Boil the potatoes in advance and store them in the fridge. Cold and dry potatoes make the cutlet real crisp.
Always grate the potatoes for making the cutlets. Make sure no chunks remain in the grated potato.
Always fry cutlet at medium-high temperature oil. If the oil is not hot enough cutlets will turn soggy and not crisp.
How To Make Vegetable Cutlet Gluten-Free?
To make these cutlets 100% gluten-free skip adding breadcrumbs to the cutlet mixture. Instead, you can use grated paneer (cottage cheese) as a binder and a tablespoon of gram flour (besan) to coat the cutlets.
Those who eat eggs can dip the cutlets in a whisked egg before frying for a crunchy exterior. And trust me on this, without breadcrumbs also, the vegetable cutlets turn out tasty.
How To Air Fry The Cutlets?
Pre heat the air fryer at 200 degrees for 5 minutes
Spray the cutlets with oil on both sides.
Arrange the cutlets in a single layer. Bake them in an air fryer for 15 minutes each side at 200 degrees or until golden and crisp.
More Cutlet Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Vegetable Cutlet Recipe
- 3 – 4 large size boiled potato
- 1 Cup onion fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup carrot
- 1/4 Cup green peas boiled
- 1/2 Cup bread crumb mixture
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon kasuri methi
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- Oil for shallow frying
Ingredients For Coating
- 1/4 Cup corn starch or potato starch
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup bread crumbs
- To prepare the mixed vegetable cutlet, first drain the boiled potato and peas in a metal colander for 5 – 10 minutes so that any excess moisture in the vegetable drains out.
- Next fine chop the remaining vegetables, I prefer using a food processor or electric chopper for the purpose.
- Now peel and mash the boiled potato. Make sure no chunks remain in the mashed potato.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mashed potato, boiled peas, chopped vegetables, salt, spices and bread crumbs.
- Combine all ingredients well to form a smooth mixture. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Cover with a foil and let it rest in the fridge for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once you are ready to fry the cutlet, heat oil in fry – pan over medium heat.
- Take a tablespoon of cutlet mixture and shape it into a small cylinder. Tap both the sides on the kitchen counter to get flat edges. Similarly, shape all the cutlets.
- Dip the cutlet in the cornflour mixture and then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry the cutlets in small batches till crisp and golden from all sides.
- Drain on an oil absorbent paper towel.
- Serve Mixed Vegetable Cutlet warm with tomato ketchup.
- If you do not want to shallow fry cutlet immediately, shape them and store in an airtight box in the fridge.
- To make bread crumb mixture at home, pulse 3 – 4 stale or dry bread slices in the food processor.
- Use a food processor, to chop or pulse the vegetables for the cutlet. This really makes a difference in the texture of the cutlets.
- Make sure vegetables are not wet or moist else the cutlet mixture will become water clogged.
- Boil the potatoes in advance and store them in the fridge. Cold and dry potatoes make the cutlet real crisp.
- Always grate the potatoes for making the cutlets. Make sure no chunks remain in the grated potato.
- You can freeze these veg cutlets for 15 – 20 days. Thaw them at room temperature before frying.
- Always fry cutlet at medium-high temperature oil. If the oil is not hot enough cutlets will turn soggy and not crisp.
- You can air-fry the veg cutlets as well at 190 degrees Celcius for 20 minutes turning halfway through.