Sheer Khurma or seviyan kheer is a traditional Indian dessert prepared on the auspicious occasion of Eid. It is rich, indulgent, and yet so simple to prepare. Needless, to say no festive menu at the end of the holy month of Ramadan is complete without a bowl of homemade delicious sheer khurma.
Sheer Khurma is a Persian term for milk and dates pudding. The humble dates hold pious importance during the month of Ramadan. And to celebrate the festival of Eid in each Muslim household a rich and creamy sheer korma sweetened with dates is prepared.
I have grown up in a small town where I had close friends from almost all religions and communities. With them, I have shared my projects, teenage secrets, and more importantly true friendship. We have celebrated all the festivals together and Eid is one of them.
I had the first taste of Muslim delicacies like Sheer Khurma, Meethi Seviyan, Biryani, Murg Korma for the first time at my friend’s place on the occasion of Eid. The taste of that feast is embedded in my food memory forever. We used to wait every year eagerly for her invite so that we can dig into all those delectable delicacies prepared by her ammi (mom) and aapa (sister).
This sheer korma recipe might not be an authentic heirloom recipe. But over the years it never fails to yield a gratifying bowl of seviyan kheer. I hope you also like it as much as I enjoy preparing and serving it. Just keep these tips in mind before making sheer korma of your dreams.
Tips To Make Perfect Sheer Khurma At Home:
- It is always best to use full cream/fat milk to make any rich and creamy Indian dessert. The cream of the milk really gives a nice texture to the pudding. The same rule applies to the sheer korma as well.
- In an authentic sheer korma recipe, nylon vermicelli is used. And the taste of kheer prepared with that variety of vermicelli is distinct. In case, nylon vermicelli is not available use the regular one.
- Roasting seviyan and dry fruits for the korma is an essential step in the recipe. But both the things need not be roasted for a very long time. Once they turn golden brown in colour transfer to a plate and set aside. Hence, continuously stir the vermicelli and dry fruits while roasting. They do not take more than 5 minutes in total to get roasted.
- If you are adding dates in the sheer korma then it is best to adjust the amount of sugar accordingly. I usually, taste the milk for sweetness before adding the sugar. If dates are not available then sweeten the korma with sugar only.
- Last but not the least, seviyan kheer can be served warm or chilled. If you are planning to serve it chilled, transfer the pudding to an earthen bowl, garnish with toasted dry fruits and rose petals, and keep in the fridge for 2 – 3 hours. Bring it out just before serving.
Other Eid Special Indian Food Recipes You Might Enjoy:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Sheer Khurma Recipe | Seviyan Kheer
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 200 gram seviyan
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 Cup sugar or as per taste
- a pinch of saffron dissolved in 2 tbsp milk
- 4 – 5 khajur (dates), chopped
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 teaspoon sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon sliced pistachio
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rose petals
- Roast the seviyan in a tablespoon of ghee till golden and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat remaining ghee and roast the sliced dry fruits. Fry them for 10 seconds. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan along with the cardamom powder and chopped dates. Let it come to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer stirring frequently.
- Once the milk is reduced to almost half the original amount add sugar, soaked saffron and roasted seviyan. Stir to combine.
- Allow the kheer to simmer till the seviyan is nicely cooked and the milk thickens. Add half of the roasted nuts and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
- Just before serving garnish sheer khurma with remaining roasted dry fruit and rose petals.
- Serve Shee Khurma warm/chilled as per liking.
- The authentic sheer korma is prepared with long, hair-thin nylon vermicelli available at conventional grocery stores or the local supermarkets.
- You can use the pre-roasted vermicelli as well to make this kheer. It is easily available at most grocery stores.