Kachhe Kele Ke Kebab is a vegetarian Indian snack made with raw banana (plantain) and Chana dal. This gluten-free and vegan kebab has a mouth-melting texture. Be sure to watch the video!
Did you know?
Raw Banana is an excellent source of fibre, beta-carotene, calcium, and vitamins A and C. They are excellent gluten-free, vegan, and plant-based ingredients, perfect for making delicious Indian food recipes.
From cutlets, stir-fry, kofta to kebab in Indian Cuisine, plantain is commonly used to make various dishes.
And the best part is these plantains are available throughout the year in India at a very affordable price.
We, as a family, love kachhe kele ke kebab to the core. Why? Because they have an exceptionally good taste and can give a tough fight in flavour and texture to any meat kebabs.
You will be surprised to know that I have not used any binding ingredient in this kebab recipe.
This vegetarian kebab’s magical taste and texture are achieved by only two ingredients – raw banana and chana dal.
Both are boiled and mashed to perfection, combined with a few basic spices and seasoning. And you have the most delicious vegetarian kebabs on the table in no time.
Amazing vegetarian kebab that doesn’t taste like a cutlet or like it is missing “something” when you taste it.
My Tried & True Tips
While pressure cooking bananas and lentils, neither add too much water nor cook them for too long, usually, 1 – 2 whistles over medium heat are sufficient.
Allow the boiled ingredients to sit in the metal colander for 10 – 15 minutes for all the liquid to drain. They should not be water-clogged.
The number of raw bananas to dal should always be more. If you add 1 Cup of dal, use 3 – 4 medium-sized bananas for the kebab.
Preparing the kebab mixture in advance is highly recommended, as keeping it in the fridge for some time. This helps in binding the kebab easily.
For a crispy texture, kebab can be dipped in the corn-flour mixture before frying. Skip this step if you are making gluten-free kebab.
Kachhe Kele Ke Kebab has a soft texture; hence, it is best to either pan-fry them or shallow fry them. And always flip them gently.
Watch Kebab Video
Serving & Storing Suggestions
The raw banana fritters are always a crowd-pleaser when served with spicy coriander chutney and juliennes of onion.
For a more robust flavor, a pinch of chaat masala and a generous squeeze of lemon juice over the kebabs can accomplish a magical effect on the palate.
This kebab mixture can be easily stored in the fridge for 1 – 2 days. Transfer the prepared mixture to a stainless steel or glass bowl. Seal the bowl with a tight-fitting lid.
More Indian Snack Recipes
- Corn Chaat
- Peanut Chaat
- Lobia Ki Chaat
- Sabudana Vada
- Masoor Dal Cutlet
- Corn Paneer Cutlet
- South Indian Medu Vada
- Aloo Ki Fulori (Potato Fritters)
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter or follow us on Youtube for video recipes.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Kachhe Kele Ke Kebab Recipe
- Deep Frying Pan
- 3 – 4 large size raw banana/plantain (kachha kela)
- 1 Cup split Bengal gram dal (chana dal)
- 1 Cup onion, fine chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala (see recipe here)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
- To prepare Kele ke Kebab, rinse and soak the chana dal 15 minutes or so in water.
- While the dal is soaked cook the raw banana in a pressure cooker along with the skin for 2 – 3 whistles over medium heat. Cook them till they are firm yet they can be pierced by a knife.
- Let the steam escape naturally from the pressure cooker. Open the lid and place the cooked bananas in a colander. Peel the skin and transfer the boiled bananas in a mixing bowl. Keep aside till required.
- In the same pressure cooker cook the gram dal in ¾ cup of water along with salt, turmeric powder till it is cooked.
- Mash the dal nicely. If required use food processor for the purpose.
- Add the paste of dal in the same mixing bowl as raw bananas.
- Add chopped onion, coriander, salt and ginger to the kebab mixture along with spices.
- Using a potato masher or your fingers mash the mixture to a smooth paste. At this stage you can store the kebab mixture in the fridge as well to be used later.
- With moist hands scoop out the mixture, about the size of a peach, flatten it using fingers seal any cracks that may appear on the edges. Flatten them to half an inch thickness.
- While you are shaping the kebabs heat oil over medium heat in a frying pan for shallow frying the kebabs.
- Once the oil is heated, shallow fry the kebabs till they become crisp from outside and light brown in colour. Using kitchen tongs turn them over to cook the other (top) side the same way.
- Transfer Kebabs on a kitchen towel or an oil absorbent paper.
- Serve Kachhe Kele ke Kebab with chutney and onion slices.
- Make sure not to add too much water while boiling dal and banana. Add enough water just to cook them.
- Do not pressure cook both the ingredients for a very long time. A firm texture in banana and dal is required to make the kebab.
- If you are having trouble getting a crisp texture of the kebab, combine a tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and dip kebabs in it before frying.
Nice post . I am a food lover and I like to try something different always. This is something new and looks to be tasty . I often order food on the web but before doing so I search for best offers online. Foodpanda is one of the best online food delivery website that provides good quality food at best prices . I have recently used Foodpanda offers from GrabOn and saved on the purchase , you can also do the same and save on your next order .
Mobile App Developers says
Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don’t really provide anything that attract others, but I’m most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.
Very tasty and yummy recipe. I am gonna try at weekend. I am food lover i am regular visitor of your site. When purchasing any fast food or pizaa online I used Mcdonalds Coupons you can use it too save more.
Kachhe Kele Ke Kebab Recipe, the name itself is seeing very tough and what about the taste
want to try it now,if anyone is with me just follow me
If i wanna to bake the kabbabs …how should I do it
Hina Gujral says
You can air fry them at 200 degrees C for 10 – 15 minutes each side.`