Bread Roll is a crispy Indian-style potato croquette. A deep-fried potato roll made of bread and boiled potatoes is the ultimate comfort food. If you’re looking for an indulgent Indian breakfast, then this bread roll recipe is the answer.
The delicious spiced potato filling stuffed in a fried crunchy bread casing served with a flavorsome green chutney is the real outburst of flavors and textures.
In India, these vegetarian potato croquettes are well known as bread roll or potato bread roll. They are a widely popular breakfast and a street food fare.
The bread roll is probably the best way to transform a regular loaf of bread into a fulfilling and hearty breakfast for the family.
Reasons to LOVE Potato Bread Roll Recipe
- meal-prep friendly
- vegan and vegetarian
- customizable potato stuffing
- perfect snack/breakfast for kids
- possible gluten-free (use GF bread)
This easy and tasty potato bread roll recipe is totally worth bookmarking.
My Tried & True Tips
Always use fresh, soft bread slices to make the potato roll. Avoid using stale bread as it might break while shaping the roll. The white bread slices are the perfect choice for this bread roll recipe.
Dip the bread slice in water only for a second or so to moisten it. Then gently squeeze it to get rid of the water but make sure not to break the bread slice.
Make sure potato filling is nicely mashed and smooth in texture else it will ooze out of the bread covering.
Potato Rolls can be either deep-fried or shallow fried.
Make sure to fry bread roll on medium to high heat so that croquettes are crisp from the outside and fully cooked from the inside.
The secret of my crunchy bread roll recipe is to keep them in the refrigerator (not the freezer) for 15 – 30 minutes before frying. This step always yields crisp potato rolls without fail.
Watch Potato Bread Roll Video
Can I bake a potato bread roll?
Yes, the bread roll can be baked as well. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Brush the shaped potato rolls with oil, and bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the outer covering is crisp and golden in color. You can air-fry them as well at the same temperature for 7 – 8 minutes on each side.
Can I make the bread roll in advance and freeze it?
Yes, indeed. A few hours before the serving time, shape the cutlet, arrange them on a greased plate or baking tray. Cover the dish with a muslin cloth and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to fry.
Arrange the bread roll in a tray and freeze for 1 – 2 hours. Once frozen, store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Thaw at room temperature before frying.
More Potato Recipes For You
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Potato Bread Roll Recipe
Bread Roll Filling:
- 3 – 4 potato, boiled and peeled
- ½ Cup onion, fine chopped
- 1 green chilli, fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander, fine chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala
Bread Roll Covering:
- 6 white bread slices
- 2 Cup cooking oil for deep-frying
How To Make Bread Roll Filling:
- Combine boiled potato, onion and other ingredients for the filling in a mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes and mix all the ingredients until no lumps remain in the filling mixture. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Set aside till required.
How To Make Bread Roll:
- Take room temperature water in a shallow plate or bowl.
- Remove the edges of the bread slices.
- Now, take one bread slice, dip it in water for a second or just to moisten. Then, squeeze it nicely with the pressure of your palms.
- Place a tablespoon of stuffing in the center of the bread slice.
- Carefully, bring the edges of the bread slice to the center and gently seal the potato filling with the bread. Shape the cutlet into a round. Similarly, prepare rest of the potato rolls.
- To fry the bread roll, heat oil in a frying pan. Test the temperature of the oil by dropping a small piece of bread. If it comes to the top oil is ready for frying the aloo roll.
- Gently slide shaped bread roll from the edges into the frying pan. Fry over medium heat till crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Serve bread roll piping hot with mint coriander chutney and ketchup.