Pondicherry or Puducherry is a popular and culturally rich Indian union territory near Tamil Nadu. The place has a strong French influence in its heritage, architecture, and food. If you are planning a weekend getaway or a road trip to Pondicherry then must try these fabulous Pondicherry restaurants. As a food blogger, I absolutely love each one of them.
Pondicherry is a food lover’s paradise and has plenty to offer when it comes to good food. The food served at Pondicherry restaurants is diverse and quite different from other tourist places in South India.
One can see influences of English, Portuguese, French, and Dutch Cuisine, interspersed with South Indian delicacies, coastal flavors, and continental favorites to cater to tourists from all over the World.
The French Quarter, colonial architecture, fusion flavors, and local bakeries ensure that Pondicherry is a wonderful retreat away from the hustle-bustle of a metropolitan. The slow-life vibe of Pondicherry will make you fall in love with it.
My Favorite Pondicherry Restaurants
This post lists a few of my favorite Pondicherry restaurants (also read: 5 Best Restaurants in Jaipur) that we love to visit each time during our trip to the town and still never get bored of the food.
Hope you will love these restaurants too!
1)Bread and Chocolate: Highly recommended and with good reason, this is a heaven for bread, and chocolate lovers – and the best part, everything on the menu is organic and locally sourced (there are gluten-free and vegan options as well).
If you’re looking for a perfect breakfast smoothie bowl, sourdough sandwich or chocolate croissant then head straight to Bread and Chocolate at Auroville.
We suggest going early on weekends as most of the bakery items go out of stock by noon. Also, there are limited seats so it’s best to reach early and grab a perfect spot.
My Favorites: Summer Tartine Breakfast, Croissant, Cinnamon Roll, and Chocolate Palmiers, and Babka
2) Tanto Pizzeria: Are you a pizza lover? Then Tanto Pizzeria at Auroville is your go-to place for all things pizza. This joint promises woodfired pizza with a thin crust Italian-style base, fresh tomato sauce, and delicious toppings.
The ambiance is fuss-free with open-air sitting and the place has a rustic, al-fresco feel to tit. On a hot day, a thin crust pizza, grilled fish platter, and a huge pitcher of their ice tea or fresh juice are exactly what you need to chill with friends.
My Favorites: Pizza
3) Coromandel Cafe, La Maison Rose: A pretty pink café nestled at White Town, La Maison Rose is a quiet little spot for a romantic dinner date. Modeled after the pink villa of the same name in Paris. Along with a cafe, La Maison Rose has a luxury boutique and book shop as well.
This French-themed cafe has both indoor and open-air style seating where you can spend hours, sipping a chilled beer or a glass of wine along with deliciously crisp calamari or a good steak. The menu has plenty of French-inspired dishes tweaked with local flavors.
My Favorites: Moroccon Spiced Prawns, Crispy Calamari
4) Villa Shanti: This Pondicherry restaurant is another gem located at the heart of White Town. One can visit this place for its colonial feel and old-world charm. An old bungalow courtyard converted into a restaurant, Villa Shanti is the perfect spot for a family dinner.
Villa Shanti is well known for its fusion flavors. Here you will get classic Indian food with a French twist – from the classic French dessert, Crème Brulee to chicken tikka, there is a lot of variety on the menu.
It is highly recommended to make a reservation, especially during the weekend as it is a popular Pondicherry restaurant.
My Favorites: Watermelon and Tomato Gazpacho, Murgh Adraki Kebab, Tandoori Fish Tikka
6) Marc’s Cafe: If you are a coffee lover or enthusiast, then must visit Marc’s Cafe at Auroville. From the best cup of coffee in town to great pastries, and a fabulous Masala Dosa (Sunday Morning), you get it all at Marc’s Cafe.
The best part is they offer a variety of learning experiences for coffee lovers from time to time. I personally love the look and feel of this cozy cafe. You can also buy a variety of made-in-India coffee powders and beans available at their cafe.
My Favorite: Coffee, Pastries, Masala Dosa
5) Café Xtasi: This café at MG Road is a must-visit when in Pondy, for their star item on the menu – Pizza! What’s unique about this place is – handcrafted woodfired pizza and half and half style customizable toppings.
One gets to order their pizza in a half and half style with different toppings on each half of the pizza.
One can also opt for pasta or a salad if you’re not in the mood for pizza. Café Xtasi is a popular joint among locals and travelers. It is almost always packed so plan your visit accordingly.
My Favorites: Iron Pie Pizza, Sausezz Pizza
Disclaimer: My opinion and words are unbiased and totally based on my experience. But, as they say, “Food is Subjective” so kindly exercise your own discretion, with the understanding that this is writer’s personal opinion.