Chicken Cheese Balls are the best cheese-loaded snacks for any fun party. Serve them with your favorite dip or sauce and you will never go back to those frozen cheese ball packets. Who knew that it could be this easy to make cheese balls right at home from scratch. Be sure to watch the video!
Can there be any better party snacks than the crisp cheesy chicken balls? Probably not!
I wonder what took us so long to try the cheese balls recipe. Most likely, it was the fear of not getting the perfectly melted cheese inside the crisp chicken ball. But to be honest, it was not that tough to achieve perfection. All you need is a foolproof cheese ball recipe.
As far as the chicken ball recipe is concerned, it’s pretty much similar to my Asian chicken meatballs recipe. I follow this basic meatball recipe all the time – a couple of eggs, breadcrumbs, and some herbs. You can’t go wrong with meatballs. A true comfort meal!
What Type of Chicken
The ground chicken is perfect to make meatballs or these cheese balls.
Usually, people get confused between minced chicken and ground chicken. The minced chicken has a more granular texture whereas the ground chicken has a paste-like texture. You can use packaged/frozen ground chicken as well for this cheese balls recipe.
You can pulse two chicken breasts in the food processor to make ground chicken at home. But do not use minced chicken for making cheese balls, they will not bind together.
If you are looking for a vegetarian version of this chicken cheese ball, try my cafe-style potato cheese balls recipe. Oh man, that recipe is a keeper too!
The Right Cheese
Any good quality pizza or mozzarella cheese is ideally perfect for the cheese balls. Why? Because it will quickly melt while deep-frying and will give you the delicious cheese lava at the center of the chicken balls.
I mostly use mozzarella cheese for this recipe. Cut it into small pieces that could easily fit inside the chicken balls.
In my opinion, regular processed cheese might not be a good option for making cheese balls. Or for say any snack where you want the cheese to melt.
Can I make them ahead?
Yes, of course. I always have a soft spot for make-ahead party appetizers. All you need to do shape the chicken balls and keep them in the freezer. Once you are ready for deep-frying, bring them out of the fridge, coat them in flour, egg white, breadcrumbs, and fry.
On most occasions, I shape them one hour before the party and keep the tray in the fridge. This trick really helps to serve delicious cheese balls in no time. And surely you are going to win many compliments for being a perfect hostess.
They are crunchy, full of delicious flavor, and were gone just as quickly.
Watch Chicken Cheese Balls Video
More Snack Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Chicken Cheese Balls
- Deep Frying Pan
- 500 gram ground chicken
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb mix
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- Oil for deep-frying
Ingredients For Stuffing:
- mozzarella cheese cut into small cubes
Ingredients For Coating:
- 1 Cup corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 egg white
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- Combine chicken, egg yolk, spring onion, coriander, chilli flakes, herb mix, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix nicely.
- Next, add the flour and once again mix the batter.
- Place one piece of the cheese in the centre of the disc and cover it with the chicken batter. Shape the disc into a round ball. Set aside. Similarly, shape all the chicken balls.
- Keep the shaped cheese balls in the fridge while you heat oil.
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan over medium-high flame.
- Arrange coating ingredients – corn flour, egg white and breadcrumbs near the gas stove.
- Coat cheese ball first with corn flour, dip in egg white and then coat in breadcrumbs. Now deep-fry it in the pre-heated oil. Similarly, follow the coating steps for all the meatballs and deep fry.
- Deep-fry the chicken balls till they are golden and crisp from the outside. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve chicken cheese balls immediately with your favourite dip or sauce.
- I have used a readymade package of ground chicken for this recipe. You can pulse two chicken breast in the food processor to make ground chicken for cheese balls.
- Before deep-frying makes sure the oil is heated to the right temperature. Else, chicken balls might not turn crisp.
- If you are not deep-frying the chicken balls immediately keep them in the fridge until required.