Methi Matar Malai is a restaurant-style Indian main course dish. It is a creamy, mildly spicy gravy made with fresh methi (fenugreek) and matar (green peas). The addition of button mushrooms makes it truly delicious.
About Methi Matar Malai
Methi Matar Malai is a popular vegetarian main course gravy dish from India. The word ‘malai’ indicates the creamy texture of the gravy and also symbolizes the presence of cream in the dish.
It is mainly prepared during winter to celebrate fresh seasonal produce like fenugreek leaves (methi) and green peas (matar).
The creaminess of mushrooms, the crunchiness of green peas, and the bitterness of fenugreek leaves create a delectable flavour profile.
I love methi matar malai so much that I included a fusion version of the dish with kale, in my debut cookbook – The 100 Indian Curry Recipes.
Mushroom: Use button mushrooms or any other easy-to-cook mushrooms available.
Methi: Use fresh fenugreek leaves and not dried ones, especially do not use kasuri methi.
Matar: As methi matar malai is a winter delicacy, use fresh green peas. If they are not available, then add frozen green peas.
Malai: I add fresh milk cream. But you can use light or heavy cream for making this sabji.
Cashews: They give a creamy texture and rich taste to the gravy.
Spices: Green Cardamom, Bay Leaf, Cumin, Cumin Powder, Garam Masala, Black Pepper Powder
Oil: I use flavourless light vegetable or refined oil. You can use ghee or butter also instead of refined oil.
Other Ingredients: Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilli, Salt, Water
The Gravy Paste
The soul of my mushroom methi matar malai is the white gravy paste. It is simple to make, easy to store, and used to make various Indian gravy dishes.
What You Need: Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chilli, Cashew, Green Cardamom, and Hot Water.
How To Make: Soak the ingredients mentioned above in hot water for 15 minutes. Blend them to a smooth paste using hot water.
Transfer to a bowl, store it in the refrigerator or use it immediately.
How To Make
Step 1) Prepare the white gravy paste as explained. Keep it aside.
Step 2) Heat oil in a kadhai or casserole. Once hot, add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Fry for 20 seconds (image 1).
Step 3) Add the white gravy paste prepared earlier. Fry the paste for a few minutes over low heat or until the oil separates from the masala.
Step 4) Add diced button mushrooms, green peas, salt, and saute for a few minutes (image 3).
Step 5) Add water, and stir to combine. Cover and cook the gravy over low heat till the mushroom and peas are fully cooked.
Step 6) Open the lid, add garam masala, cumin powder, black pepper powder, cream (malai), and fresh fenugreek leaves. Stir to combine.
Step 7) Simmer the methi matar malai over low heat for the fenugreek leaves to soften and cook. Garnish and serve.
It tastes delicious with plain basmati rice also.
Store the leftover gravy in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. You can store it for 2 – 3 days. While reheating, add two tablespoons of milk or water to get the right consistency.
More Indian Main Course Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Mushroom Methi Matar Malai Recipe
- Heavy Bottom Kadhai
Ingredients For White Gravy Paste
- ½ Cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon cashews (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped green chili
- 4 green cardamom (elaichi)
- ½ Cup boiling hot water
Other Ingredients For Gravy
- 2 tablespoon refined oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 200 gram chopped button mushroom
- ½ Cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup fresh fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (get recipe)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ Cup cream (malai or fresh cream)
- To make white gravy paste, soak diced onion, ginger, garlic, cashew, and green cardamom in hot water for 15 minutes. Later, blend them to a smooth paste using hot water.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or casserole. Once hot, add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Fry for 20 seconds
- Add the white gravy paste prepared earlier. Fry the paste for 2 – 3 minutes over low heat or until the oil separates from the masala Keep stirring while frying the masala.
- Add diced button mushrooms, green peas, salt, and saute for a minute. Add 1 Cup of water, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook the gravy over low heat till the mushroom and peas are fully cooked. This usually takes less than 10 minutes.
- Open the lid, add garam masala, cumin powder, black pepper powder, cream (malai), and fresh fenugreek leaves. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the methi matar malai over low heat for the fenugreek leaves to soften and cook. Do not cook for more than 5 – 6 minutes.