I have been trying to make some room in my freezer lately and in doing so I have been coming across all sorts of interesting things that I had forgotten about. One of them was a pack of boneless chicken. The first thing that came to my mind was the conventional chicken tikka. But then I thought it will be too conventional. So why not make chicken satay infused with Indian flavours. And hence, we got Tandoori Chicken Satay Recipe.
I am a huge fan of skewered grilled meat widely available across South-East Asia and this chicken satay is no exception! It is super simple to make, only require a bit of marinating time and then you just throw it on the grill. The chicken came out nice and tender and light and fresh and it was packed full of flavour. These chicken skewers go well with just about everything, including but not limited to Mint and Coriander Chutney, or Peanut Dipping Sauce.
How To Make Chicken Satay Without BBQ/Outdoor Grill?
Okay! Now you must be worry about not having a huge barbecue grill in your backyard where you can grill satay sticks. No worries, you can grill these chicken skewers in the tiny indoor barbecue or use grill mode in the oven/microwave. If that not possible then stick to good quality grill pan for the purpose. A couple of times, we have grilled chicken on the grill pan and it turns out super delicious. So do give it a shot!
Tips To Make Delicious Chicken Satay At Home:
- The key to best satay chicken is the tender and juicy meat. It is always best to use small boneless chicken pieces with the thickness less than half an inch. The small bite-size chicken pieces get cooked quickly.
- Marination is a keep step in the making of delicious satay chicken. The meat needs to nicely absorb the flavour of the marinade so that it does not taste bland underneath.
- Adjust the combination of marinating ingredients as per your taste. Like, you can add a teaspoon of soy sauce, fish sauce or red chilli sauce as well in the marinade mix. Or skip the sugar totally if you don’t want the notes of sweetness in your satay chicken.
- Chicken skewers do not take very long to get perfectly grilled. Usually, 10 minutes on each side over medium heat on a bbq/grill pan. And it is surely a crime to overcook the chicken pieces because it makes them really dry and chewy.
Other Indian Style BBQ Recipes You Might Like To Try:
- Achaari Paneer Tikka (Cottage Cheese Skewers)
- Tandoori Prawns (Shrimps)
- Gobi (Cauliflower) Tikka
- Grilled Pineapple Salad
Watch How To Make Takeaway Style Kung Pao Chicken:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Tandoori Chicken Satay is the easiest and the best way to relish grilled chicken. Learn how to make delicious Indian style chicken satay.
- 500 gram boneless chicken pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or fine chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 2 lemon
- Oil to brush the chicken while roasting
- Peanut dipping Sauce
- Sliced Onion
- Juice of half lemon
- Clean, wash and dry the chicken pieces.
Blend all the ingredients for marinade in a food processor/blender. Pour over the chicken pieces, mix nicely and keep in the fridge at least an hour or overnight.
- While chicken is being marinated soak bamboo skewers ( buy it here ) in water for 30 minutes to prevent from burning while grilling.
- Pat dry the skewers and grease nicely with oil.
- Thread marinated chicken pieces into oiled skewers and make sure not to leave any space between each piece while threading.
Grill the skewered chicken in the barbecue/charcoal/oven or in the grill pan. Keep on brushing the chicken skewers with oil.
Cook till chicken pieces are tender and turn golden from outside.
- Keep on turning the skewers while grilling and basting with the leftover marinade.
To serve chicken satay, sprinkle sliced onion, chopped coriander and enjoy with Peanut Sauce.